Honeywell 6160 Reprogram to send *99 before dialing monitoring center????

Old 03-08-12, 07:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Honeywell 6160 Reprogram to send *99 before dialing monitoring center????

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this. I have had a security system installed in my home for the last 4 1/2 years and it has worked just fine with my Comcast VOIP service. I just switched over to an Ooma box for VOIP and now I cannot communicate properly with the monitoring center. The issue isn't with dialing the number, but rather when sending the dial tones with my information, the monitoring center basically drops the call. I've read on some of the Ooma forums that due to the compression codec being used, it might be necessary to add a *99 before dialing to completely disable any compression. This would be the same thing like when using a fax machine, else the fax won't go through properly.

So... is there any way to prepend a *99 before dialing the monitoring center to see if that works? I have a Honeywell 6160 keypad and a 6150 keypad if that makes any difference. I talked to my installer and he has no idea how to do this, and actually, I'm not certain he fully understood what I was explaining. His fix for the problem is a $250 cellular hookup and an additional $7/month = No thank you!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-12, 02:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
What is the model of the alarm control that these keypads are attached to?

I can make the educated guess that it's a Vista 20p, but those keypads work on pretty much any Vista model made in the last 15 years, and they _all_ program differently.

Old 03-09-12, 07:14 AM
N
Yeah, my bad. Read through the FAQ's last night and realized that I needed to provide this info. The control panel is a Vista 20p.

My installer thought this could only hold 10 digits for the number, and it couldn't do anything with a * since that is the control button to command the panel anyhow. I found the installation guide for the 15p and it looks like that one can hold up to 20 digits, and you can program #+11 to get a * and a #+12 to get a #, and then a #+13 for a pause. I'm thinking that if I can reprogram the number to be: #+11, 9, 9, #+13, <call center number>, then that might fix my problem. Assuming this can be done on the 20p as well... Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!

UPDATE: Looks like the installation manual I found is supposedly valid for both 15p and 20p, so hopefully this info above is exactly what I needed. Some help with making sure I have the commands correct though would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-12, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Also, look at programming location *40. It's intended for things like call waiting disable, but can be used for any kind of dialing pre-code. You do have to enable call waiting disable in *91.

Old 03-09-12, 11:28 AM
N
Ah... that would probably be easier than messing with the primary number slot and making it all part of that. I'll try programming *40 and run a test to see if that does it... Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: