Safewatch Pro 2000 w/Vista 10 SE - Check 09, bF Error

Old 03-20-12, 04:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safewatch Pro 2000 w/Vista 10 SE - Check 09, bF Error

Hi,

I have a Safewatch Pro 2000 with Vista 10SE board. I have a wired smoke alarm and wired motion detector. I don't have any wireless sensors and no cellular backup. The system was installed in 2003. I don't have full documentation of all the zones, but everything seems to be installed on 1 - 6 (can't confirm about smoke detector). The system is monitored by ADT.

This morning, I was attempting to set a bypass for zone 6, the motion detector, I hit something wrong on the Safewatch and started receiving "Check 09" messages. If I bypass zone 09, I get a bF error message while 09 is bypassed.

The hardware hasn't been touched and was working normally yesterday. I've verified my other sensors, with the exception of the smoke detector (can't check it) are working normally with the exception of one window sensor in zone 2 (there are 10 sensors in that zone).

Based on what I've seen on the internet, it seems I may have told my system I have a cell backup and (of course) it can't connect to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 08:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
You have a Vista 10se system with a keypad with the SW 2000 logo on it.

It sounds like you may have slipped into programming and told the system to look for hardware you don't have.

[installer code] + 8 + 0
key in #22. If you have no wireless devices this location should be 0, To change it key in *22 0.

key in #27. Again, if no cell dialer, this should be a 0. Fix it the same way.

Exit with *99. Hopefully, you didn't make any other random changes...

Old 03-20-12, 08:51 PM
B
MrRonFL

Thanks for responding.

I tried the installer + 8 0 and didn't get any obvious response from the keyboard.

#22 and #27 didn't return anything either.

About 2 hrs after I started this thread, I started getting a BAT indicator. I had the box open to look at the MB and it started after that so I moved the wires back and hopefully it will go out tomorrow.

What indications should I see when I enter programming mode, and enter #22, or #27?

Thanks

Old 03-20-12, 09:57 PM
T
when in programming you will see 'no AC' in the upper right corner even when it is plugged into a good outlet.

did you remove the keypad from its base? have you tried to clear with your code and 1 a couple of times?

is there a cell unit, even if it is not communicating?

what did you mean by, 'moved the wires back'?

Old 03-21-12, 12:14 AM
B
Hi tpring,

No I had not removed the keypad from the mount.

I've done multiple arms and disarms (have to bypass zone 9)

There isn't a cell unit installed, or wireless units.

All I meant by moved the wires back, is that I have a red and black lead coming off the motherboard straight to the terminals on the battery. They are both housed in the same box. I took the battery out (without disconnecting it) to see the motherboard better. I then put the battery back when I'd gotten the numbers off the board. The battery wires are in front of the the motherboard and i just pushed them back a little so nothing would touch the box cover. I've since readjusted those wires and the BAT indicator has gone out.

Latest thing I've noticed, since attempting the *220 and *270, it doesn't show other zones when they are open, and it had before.

Also, does the fact the panel says "Not Ready" with no lights, prevent me from going into programming mode?

Also, my keypad looks like an Ademco 6127/6128 with fixed display, but is labeled as a Safewatch Pro 2000.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by Bobster926; 03-21-12 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have the installer manual for a Vista 10se?

http://www.vallance.com/installation...0seinstall.pdf

Start by looking over the section on programming.

Also, are any of your zones above 8? If so, then you either have wireless or a zone expander.

Old 03-21-12, 05:48 AM
B
Thanks MrRonFL,

I'll take a look at the manual. The items list, like *22 and settings, is very helpful!

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any zones above 8.

My front door and garage door w/delay is 1, my downstairs is 2, my back door is 3, my master bedroom is 4, my upstairs is 5, my motion detector is 6. I'm not sure of the zone of my smoke detector (white cube about 3" square), but I see wires coming out of the back of it and trailing across my attic.

I also don't have any antennas around my alarm install. There's just the ac adapter which is screwed into a wall outlet and a grey box on the wall containing the Vista board and battery. The power and motherboard box are in my closet. I looked in the manual, there is no secondary boboard attached to the Vista board.

If photos would help let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 03-21-12, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Dont worry about photos. I think that all you need to do is to check your programming and correct whatever got changed by accident.

Old 03-21-12, 08:03 PM
B
Slowly Making Progress

Well,

I figured out my master code had been changed to one of my other used codes. This is why I couldn't get into program mode. I reset it and am able to enter program mode with 8+0.

Verified both 22 and 27 were set to 0.

*** Important note, no smoke detector, just jack for it in ceiling *** All else is correct.

Still getting check 09 message with following changes.

- Getting intermittent fast tone with "Code 70" (Sounder error?)
- Alarm siren works normally when bypassing zone 09, armed and set off
- Getting intermittent BAT code (may need to get a battery)
- Intermittent flashing keypad. Seems to be in conjunction with Code 70 display.
- No zone numbers showing up in panel display for open zones

I plan to start going through the code numbers to see what's what, but if anyone sees a shortcut here, I'd appreciate it.

Bob

Old 03-21-12, 08:58 PM
B
Vista10 Data Field Programming

I bounced the panel against the field table in chapter 4. Here are the ones that didn't match listed values.

Also, when that fast alarm goes off, it's taking the phone off the hook.

Field Value Name
23 08 Forced Bypass

25 08 Output Relay Module

29 08 Fire Alarm Sounder Timeout

39 02 Audible Exit Warning

48 02 15-Second Dialer Delay

52 02 Zone 3 Response Time to Open

I'm thinking #25 is a possible issue, for sure.

Bob

Old 03-21-12, 09:06 PM
B
Disabled #25 and no longer getting Check 09 message. (yea!)

Alarm displays "Ready" and can be armed/set off.

Unit still not displaying open zone numbers on display and still holding phone line.

Bob

Last edited by Bobster926; 03-21-12 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:42 PM
B
Disabled 63 (Low Bat Report Code) and it's no longer holding the phone line. I will replace the battery, however it's swelling on all sides. This will be the 2nd one since 2003.

Also disabled 24 RF House ID Code (no RF keypads), will re-enable if I get one.

Still no open zone numbers displayed on the keypad, but it chimes if enabled. NOTE: They do work a couple of times if the "Ready" button on the controller is pressed. This had always been enabled prior to my mistake.

I've gotten another instance or two of the Code 70, i believe it's related to the low battery. I'm going to ignore for the moment and get some sleep. This is not blocking the alarm from arming and the speaker seems as loud as usual.

Bob

Last edited by Bobster926; 03-21-12 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Batteries have a typical lifespan of 5-7 years. Less if there are frequent brown/black-outs.
From the installer manual, page 11-2

"Trouble Conditions
The word CHECK on the keypad's display, accompanied by a rapid beeping at the keypad, indicates that there is a trouble condition in the system. The audible warning sound can be silenced by pressing any key.
Instruct users to call for service immediately upon seeing any of the following messages:
CHECK and BATTERY Displays
A display of CHECK and one or more zone numbers indicates that a problem exists with the displayed zone(s) and requires attention.
A display of CHECK and 09 indicates that communication between control and a zone expander or wireless receiver is interrupted. Check the wiring and DIP switch settings on the units. Also see CHECK 70 and CHECK 90 below.
If there are wireless sensors in the system, the CHECK condition may also be caused by some change in the environment that prevents the receiver from receiving signals from a particular sensor.
A display of BAT (on fixed-word keypads) or SYSTEM LO BAT (on alpha keypads) with no zone number indicates that the system's main standby battery is weak.
A display of BAT (on fixed-word keypads) or LO BAT (on alpha keypads) with a zone number and a once per minute "beeping" at the keypad indicates that a low battery condition exists in the wireless sensor displayed (zone "00" indicates a wireless keypad). If
the battery is not replaced within 30 days, a CHECK display may occur.
Bell Failure (CHECK 70) Wiring loop to external sounder is either open or shorted.
RCVR Jam (CHECK 90) RF jam detected.
NOTE: Some wireless sensors contain a nonreplaceable long-life battery that requires replacement of the entire unit at the end
of battery life (e.g., 5802, 5802CP)."

Old 03-22-12, 05:19 AM
B
Thanks,

Well, I woke up this morning to an FC error on the display. But it was still armed and active. I believe it was trying to report battery status.

So, I'm guessing the account or dialer info has been compromised too.

Apparently I'm thorough, if nothing else.

I guess the plan is to call ADT and verify items *40 - *50.

Bob

Old 03-22-12, 08:29 PM
B
Well, the PABX Access Code *40 was enabled (my password was in the field). I disabled that and the FC error went away, but when I tried to test the system, it didn't connect with ADT. So, realizing there was likely a problem with the primary and/or secondary call-in numbers, I called ADT.

To set disable call waiting, would that be #1170 ?

I spoke first to the technician, then a manager, and finally a sales associate. No one would give me, by any method, the phone numbers the system calls in on. At first they told me it was impossible to change them and then the technician switched to saying the numbers were proprietary.

Finally sales agreed to send a person out tomorrow morning who would do an upgrade assessment and MIGHT be able to update the phone numbers.

I told them I wasn't going to pay for a service call (11 year customer) or replacement hardware and that I'd had several other vendors offer to upgrade and takeover the system at no cost.

The sales person said she understood and would annotate it in the record.

So, if anyone has the Austin TX ADT dialin numbers I would certainly appreciate it.

Off to search the interwebs.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by Bobster926; 03-22-12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In this regard, you are somewhat at their mercy. The different regional ADT affiliates vary wildly in how accomodating that they are willing to be. Try escalating your calls until you get an actual manager.

Their phone numbers, are, in fact, proprietary information, and they don't like to share them.

What they _should_ be able to do is to dial into your system and reprogram those settings. Otherwise, you may be stuck with a service call to correct the dialer settings.

Old 03-23-12, 07:17 PM
B
Thanks MrRonFl,

To make a long story short, the person who was scheduled to come out didn't show up, and didn't call either. So I ended up calling back in to ADT.

I told the account folks (politely) that I wanted to close my account. I ended up talking to a senior retention person and now ADT is sending out a technician free of charge to finish the reprogramming job.

We discussed the missed call and my time, along with the fact another company could do a takeover of the equipment (they would need to reprogram the account and phone numbers anyway).

I found several companies that would do a takeover with month-to-month monitoring for 1/2 the price of ADT.

It was a very good call and the repair person should be here Wednesday.

I'll post how it all works out. I appreciate the help I've received with this so far!

Bob

Old 03-28-12, 08:36 PM
B
ADT came, things are much better but... There are two things I've noticed.

ADT technician showed up today are reestablished connection with ADT.

Overall system is working, but this evening, I've noticed a couple of things.

1. When in Stay, or instant mode, opening the Zone 1 door doesn't activate the alarm system *edit (unless the door is kept open for at least 30 seconds). Other zones work ask I'd expect.

2. When the the alarm is activated in Away mode, the alarm sounds momentarily after the beeping activation warning completes. The alarm didn't sound before.

Can someone point me in the right direction for these two items, especially the first?

It's a Vista 10SE board with a Safewatch Pro 2000 keypad, all hard-wired zones, nothing fancy.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by Bobster926; 03-28-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-28-12, 10:21 PM
T
Did you wait for the entry delay to time out [typical time is thirty secs]?

Old 03-29-12, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For the second problem: For some reason, they must have turned on the "confirmation of arming ding". To turn it off: *51 0 (in programming, of course).

Old 03-29-12, 02:05 PM
B
Well, the *51 0 took care of the alarm sound. Thanks MrRonFl!

As to the other issue. Until this incident, Zone 1 would act as my other zones. In Stay mode, opening the Zone 1 door would immediately begin "the countdown". In Instant mode it would immediately sound the alarm if opened.

Now ithere is always a 30 second delay in setting the alarm off, and in Safe and Instant, the Zone 1 door must stay open to start initiate the alarm.

Is this "normal" programming? It seems Zone 1 is setup as an 01 type zone and I'm used to everything being setup as type 02?

I know I will need an alpha keypad to confirm this. I have read a 6139 should work, will a 6160, or other Ademco alpha keypad?

Thanks

Old 03-29-12, 06:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that's actually the programming standard. These days, the emphasis is on false alarm reduction, and most of the settings companies like ADT program are aimed at that goal.

Old 03-29-12, 06:38 PM
B
I thought so.

In that case, I guess I'll consider this issue closed. I sincerely appreciate the help getting the alarm back up and running.

Bob