Install Cellular myself?

Old 03-24-12, 06:35 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Cellular myself?

I have an alarm system already installed in my home and connected to a landline. I think the system is GE NetworX NX-8V2 and it is monitored by a local alarm company, not one of the national ones. I am interested in changing my system from landline connection to cellular because I am thinking about canceling my current home phone service. The local alarm company quoted me $199 installation charge and an additional $10 month cell service on top of what I already pay to change me over to cellular. My question is this: I've seen fixed cellular GSM terminal gateways sold on ebay for 50 to 80 bucks, could I buy one of these and a prepaid sim card(which I can pay $10 every 3 months for 30minutes of call time) and convert my system over to cellular by simply plugging into the gateway instead of the wall jack it's currently using? Would I need to let the alarm company now that I did this?

Old 03-24-12, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
The answer is a qualified "maybe".

If the unit in question will allow fax/data transmission, then it might work. Many of these devices, especially cheaper ones, don't do a good enough job of emulating a normal phone lines for the alarm dialer to work with it.

Old 03-26-12, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check out the HAI C3, it may work for your needs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: