monitoring entry/exit doors

Old 07-19-12, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
monitoring entry/exit doors

My question is not specific to a brand of alarm as it is to how an alarm system can be used. I am dealing a parent having dementia/alzheimers who has walked out of the house in the middle of the night. I would like an alarm system that would trigger if the door was opened while the system is enabled. All of this seems to be mainstream alarm system operation.

This is where my requirements start to deviate from the typical alarm system. I am NOT looking for a siren to wake the neighborhood or even give my parent a heart attack when they open the door at the wrong time so the ability to use a less startling noise or action would be welcome. The alarm should not be so easy to disable that a young child could do so. I would also like to have my phone ring to notify me if theydotry to leave. I don't need a message or any text/voice because just getting a call from that number at that time of day is enough info.

I have looked at stand alone window alarms but I am concerned that having a door start wailing when a confused senior opens it may not be a good surprise. Also, if they learn to just flip the switch to turn it off or someone forgets to arm each door alrm, I have not made much progress.

The home in question does have an older alarm system - no info yet on make/model. The system is maybe alive because there is a lit LED on the keypad. Before I go diving into the existing system, are there specific items to look for that would tell me if it is capable of doing what I need? I have no problem changing out a siren for a softer or quieter one so it is really just the ability to focus on the doors being opened - not any other pre-existing sensors - and the ease of arming/disarming it.

Where do I start (besides getting the make and model of the existing system)? Is there a more standard approach to solving this issue than trying to restart/reconfigure an older alarm system?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-12, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Actually, you are on the right track. There are zone types that allow a trouble by day (keypad beep)/alarm by night configuration.

Gotta have brand and model to tell you if what you have will work.

Old 07-23-12, 01:12 PM
alarm info

I checked the alarm box and this is what I found:

Alarm panel is Ademco No. 1023
Inside the panel was module 245 and adapter 216.

Can you tell me more about the system with just this info? If not, what is it that I need to check?

Old 07-23-12, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
_Wow!_ I'm amazed that that one actually powers up. That's a nearly 30 year old system (at it's youngest). That unit has nothing like the level of programming sophistication you need for your desired configuration.

Here's a manual, but that system is a couple of steps above relays on a breadboard:
http://www.walkerhomesecurity.com/ho...mco/a31023.pdf

Old 07-23-12, 08:28 PM
recommendation please?

I lose no sleep over that unit being so old. If it could work for me, then great if not, nothing lost.

Can you recommend something that would be simplistic enough for my needs that uses current technology?

Old 07-23-12, 09:00 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
I'm thinking that you could use the installed alarm switch (in the door) to activate a door bell for local annunciation and then an inexpensive autodialer to call your cell phone. Maybe around $100.

Old 07-24-12, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmm. This is one of those rare instances where I recommend one of the all-in-one type systems: DSC Self-Contained Wireless Alarm System PowerSeries - SCW9047

The SCW-9047 has supervisory zone types, it has a residential dial feature (so it call call your mobile phone without having to do anything complex). It's wireless so you can put the control unit out of easy access, and you can even use the existing wired contacts if you really want to; but the wireless transmitters aren't that costly for the small number you seem to need, and a kit with the control unit and 2-3 transmitters will be under $200.