Replace alarm system with no monitoring

Old 07-27-12, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace alarm system with no monitoring

I tried searching the forum as much as possible before posting, but wasn't sure this exact question has been asked.

I purchased a house recently that was already wired for an alarm system. The keypad says it's not ready and it's by Securitylink by ameritech

I was wondering if I can still use the alarm system without the monitoring service? Can I program the keypad myself or replace it or pay somebody to replace it?

I don't wan to pay for monthly service and I don't even have a phone phone line. I was thinking about buying the Lowe's IRIS system or simplisafe DIY systems that don't require a phone line (GSM or internet), but my entire house is already wired with motion detectors. So I thought using the existing equipment might be a better option?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-12, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Look at the wiring diagram inside the door of the metal can holding the motherboard. If it's an AM-100, then it's a re-labeled Vista-20se, which can easily be used without monitoring.

Old 08-08-12, 05:11 PM
I opened it up and saw it does say AM-100, so I guess I'm in luck. Do you have any information on how to program it?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-12, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First, read through the sticky at the top of the forum titled "Alarm Forum FAQ (Please read before posting)". It has a lot of information on the basics for Ademco clone systems, including how to extract the installer code so that you can use it to set a new master user.

Next: you need an installer manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...on/v20seii.pdf

Read through both, and then see what parts are still confusing you.

Old 08-08-12, 05:46 PM
After a few hours of searching it looks like I have the keypad AM6128

It reads 02 really big and NOT READY as well as AC

On and Ready aren't on

Old 08-09-12, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That means that zone 2 is open, Either a magnet has fallen off of a window/door, or a contact has failed/been removed.

_DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT COMMAND!!!_ Doing so will wipe out your zone programmig, which you cannot fix with the keypad you have. You _can_ however, extract/change the installer code and use it to program a new user code.

Old 09-08-12, 12:42 PM
common people, can anyone help me?

Old 09-09-12, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99.

To turn off the dialer on _most_ Honeywell/Ademco panels (and clones):
Once in programming enter *41* and *42*. This erases the dial out phone numbers and turns off the dialer. Check your install manual, there are a few obscure models that the phone numbers are in a different location."

For your specific model these instructions (using #20) will extract your installer code. and disable the dialer.

Then using the instructions from the installer manual (page 79): [installer code] + 8 + 02 + [new master user code]. Do this in one smooth series of keystrokes or the new code will not take. Test the code by turning on and off the chime.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz25zBLVqKi