Ademco vista 10 SE problem

Old 08-15-12, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco vista 10 SE problem

I have a ademco vista 10 se system with a6139 Alpha keypad.
I want the CHIME to work when a door is opened.
It worked for a long time and all of a suden it stopped working. I checked all the wiring and contacts which checks out ok. I disconnected the power from system and reapplied. Went into program mode with installer code. Did all the codes by the book but when I get to the point where I'm supposed to go to *56 to get to the zones, it will only let me put in *5 and then goes into a wait for a few minutes and then displays " OPEN CKT".
If I reset by power off, and go to installer code It displays "DISARMED CHIME READY FOR ARMING" but get no chime when door is opened. What is *56 code checking for? I asume you have to setup *56 before Chime will work. I know *56 is for programming the zones. Before this problem all worked just fine. I could go to *56 with no problem. Any help or suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-12, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
I think you made a very common mistake. Most likely, all that was wrong was that your door contact stopped opening. The next most likely thing was that the piezo sounder in the keypad failed. The programming on one of these things doesn't change spontaneously.

If your zones show the zones faulting, but you aren't getting a chime, then it's the keypad. If the zones aren't faulting, then it's the mechanical contact.

Old 08-15-12, 05:58 PM
THANK#S FOR THE FAST REPLY:
HERE IS WHAT i HAVE DONE; I checked the contacts at the control box with an ohm meter hooked up. The contacts opened and closed ok. The piezo sounder works fine. I get sound from it if I cause an error. My question is how to get into *56 to program the zones. It let me in before and now I cant get there. It will not let me enter 56 just the 5. Dont I have to have the zones programed to have the chime work? Thanks again

Old 08-15-12, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A display of "Open Ckt" means that the data communication between the keypad and the motherboard isn't working correctly. Either the wiring is bad, or the keypad is failing. Check your keypad connections and try wiring the keypad directly with a short length of known good wire.

If you didn't delete, default, or otherwise change your zone settings, then your zone settings should be exactly as originally programmed.

Old 08-16-12, 07:34 AM
Thank's mr RonFl,
Here is the whole story. All settings have been changed. Went back to default settings to start over. When I moved here the system was never programmed. I did the programming and everything worked. I did all the zones as the book said and it worked. But now I cant get to *56 to program the zones.I removed the keypad from the wall and connected directly to the control box, so I could see what was going on. Removed all wiring from pannel going to all sensors. Place 1000 ohms resistors across all zone termals on pannel. Pluged in power. Could go to programming mode using installer code. Went through all setup entrys up to when it said to go to zone program,*56. This is where it gave me open ckt.
I removed power and removed 1000 ohm resistor from zone #, terminal 8 & 9, installed 1000 ohm resistor on terminal # 8, which is +, attached red wire from contact to resistor and attached black wire coming from other side of contact to terminal# 9 ,negative, pluged in power
and went through setup for programming up to *56, "OPEN CKT" displayed. Powered down and checked contact wiring with multimeter. With door close where contact is, meter showed closed circuit, opened door and showed open circuit. Reinstalled all zone wiring from contacts, keeping 1000 ohm resistors on high side and still get the same. I go to the chime mode. The display shows "DISARMED CHIME READY TO ARM" but when I open a door no chime. I'm going to connect the alarm and see if I get a sound from the sounder when I arm and open door. Thanks

Old 08-16-12, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From what has been described, you either have a failing keypad or a failing motherboard. I am leaning toward failing motherboard, since the keypad seems to function until you try to get into zone programming.

There's no secret handshake, no hidden commands.

Old 08-16-12, 01:24 PM
Thank's for your help. I will keep checking. If I find the solution I will let you know. Thanks again.

Old 08-24-12, 06:11 PM
Cool vista 10se

Mrronfl,
Just to let you know, the processor was bad on my board. I replaced the board and all works.
I do have one more question. Do i have to place a resistor on the low, green wire, on zone 4 with movement detector. I tried it with resistor but no action from detector. This is all hard wired. Also tried without resistor and nothing.
If I understand the book, you are supposed to use resistors on all contacts but not sure with movement detectors. Thanks again for your help Tommy

Old 08-24-12, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, with a vista 10se all zones need a resistor.

Most likely, what is happening is that motions automatically bypass unless you open and close an entry exit zone. The feature can be turned off, but it's got a real and valid purpose to prevent false alarms.

Old 08-26-12, 02:24 PM
Thanks MrRonFL for your help. All is up and running at present. Thanks again!