Vista 40 always reports door open

Old 08-15-12, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 40 always reports door open

We have a Vista 40 system with 4802U RPM and the sensors/contacts are wired.

As of a few days ago, the chime no longer sounds when we open the wooden side door to the garage and the keypad display says "Fault 16 Exterior Garage Door" regardless of whether the door is open or closed. After doing some reading of the manual and online, I thought it might be a busted contact.

I looked at our other doors and they seem to use what look like the 951WG style recessed contacts mounted in the top of the door frame with the magnet in the corresponding location in the door. However, I cannot for the life of me find the contact/magnet pair on this door in that location or indeed anywhere.

What kinds of contacts might have been used that I could/should look for?

More generally, is contact switch failure a likely cause of our problem or am I wasting my time exploring this path?

Thanks.

Last edited by unmesh; 08-15-12 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-12, 09:09 PM
Using a magnetic compass to look for the magnet, I found the contact! It was hidden under a couple of layers of paint

What next?

Old 08-15-12, 09:36 PM
The contact should be located in the door frame directly across from the magnet. It's probally covered by paint also. Try moving a magnet by it and see if it chimes. If so the the magnet in the door isn't lining up properly with it when the door is closed. If not then you will have to pull the contact out and short the two wires together to see if the zone clears. If so then the contact is bad. If not then you have a wiring issue back to the panel.

Old 08-15-12, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Fishlips25. I will try and get a magnet from somewhere tomorrow to do the experiment.

I hope it is not an alignment problem since extracting the pressfit contact is going to be difficult as it is.

Old 08-16-12, 08:12 PM
I got a magnet and first confirmed that it was strong enough by testing it on a working contact. I then tried it on the problem one and the contact wont change state.

I now have to figure out how to get it out in a way that I can put a replacement in