Simon xt, no monthly fees?

Old 08-21-12, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simon xt, no monthly fees?

I just purchased a house with a Simon xt installed. Was wondering if I could program it to call a family member instead of the security company so I could bypass monthly fees.

Also need to get the gsm cell set up, is this a difficult task? How would this work if I don't have a security company?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-12, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Yes, there are a number of vendors that cater to the DIY market to activate features that normally require a dealer (like GSM). Otherwise, yes, you can set these up to direct contact you or someone else. It's more complicated for "cord cutters" because most of these features were really designed for landline telecom communication.

Old 08-22-12, 05:00 AM
So I'd need to buy another base unit? Do you know which brands can do that? I'm hoping ge compatible since the whole house is set up with wireless sensors throughout. Thanks!

Old 08-22-12, 10:55 AM
if you have a landline (analogue) at home, you are good to go. Just need to program the thing.

Old 08-22-12, 03:43 PM
I don't have a land line, was hoping to not have to get one of those since I use my cell for everything. Anything I can add to make it cellular, and still program The numbers?

I read the manual and it only let me program the fourth number...how do I program the first one??

Old 08-23-12, 08:12 AM
You'll need some sort of 3rd party solution without a landline. Alarm.Com is the easiest set up, but comes with monthly fees...You need the installer code to get at the first 3 phone numbers, not the Master code which you have been using...

Old 08-23-12, 11:16 AM
It seems like the cellular monitoring options are just as expensive as going through a security company in the first place. . Any other options?