ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 System upgrade or replacement

Old 08-29-12, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 System upgrade or replacement

I've been reading and searching for a while - in an attempt to figure out what questions I need to ask.

I'm in the process of building a new detached workshop on my property - about 50 feet from the house.

We currently have an ADT Safewatch 3000 Pro - which, based upon my reading is similar to an Ademco 15 or 20.

I've been able to figure out that I have a 6150 keypad - no RF as we have all hardwired sensors.

At the moment, we only have a few things being monitored in the house.

We'd like to, as part of this building project, add some additional items to be monitored in the house, as well as the workshop. Currently, we are monitoring two doors and one motion sensor in the house. We'd like to add an additional door sensor in the house, as well as a door sensor and a motion sensor in the workshop. I will be running conduit to the workshop for wiring.

At this time, I haven't thought about glass/glass breakage or smoke/fire, but that might be on the list as well.

In terms of functionality, we want the following. I want to be able to establish a couple of codes to be used for arming/disarming the system. I want one code that will only arm/disarm the workshop, and then another that will arm/disarm both.

I believe the existing system will allow me to partition the zones in such a way that this would work.

Based upon my reading, it seems I need to determine the following items first.
1) Installer code
2) Master code

I'll continue to search for ways to determine these items, but would appreciate some insights.

My other question is this: what are my options with regard to adding additional sensors, keypads, etc. Would I be better off contemplating some type of system upgrade? If I'm understanding what I've read here correctly, I'll need an upgraded keypad (such as a 6160 or 6270, etc.) to be able to program, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-12, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Yes, you will need a 6160 keypad, I'd swap out the one in the house for a 6160RF to get the devices you want, and use the 6150 in the remote location.

The best and smartest way to add the devices in the detached building is to put a hardwire zone expander out there with the keypad. Run a reasonably robust set of wires (18ga) to compensate for the voltage drop. If you don't get too crazy, the motion detector can be powered off of the keypad/module power.

Old 08-29-12, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the very quick reply!

Zone expander makes sense.

Are you suggesting the RF keyboard as that gives me more flexibility with adding sensors and such? I hadn't thought about that angle, but that would make things easier in the existing structure...

Old 08-29-12, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a more expensive option, but if running wires in the existing house would be tough, it's a cost effective solution. Otherwise, just get a 6160 and run new wired zones.

There's a lot of judgement calls when working with this stuff. That's why there aren't any universal answers for security configuration.

Old 08-29-12, 04:35 PM
Totally understood - makes complete sense.

I had originally planned anything additional in the house would be wired, but realize I threw a real variable in there in my post when I mentioned the possibility of going with some additional monitoring in the house (smoke, etc.). We're undecided on that at this point.

Random wireless question - will the system I currently have be able to report battery low conditions to the keypad? Or, will it only notify us of that situation by a beep or something else?

Core goal will be to get the new structure integrated into the system. Certainly sounds like the best way to do that would be to move the existing keypad to the workshop and upgrade the house as that's necessary anyway for programming purposes.

So, items on my checklist now:
installer and any additional codes needed
zone expander
18ga wire
keypad
any additional sensors desired
determine setup with regard to zones/partitions, etc.
determine programming steps

Any recommendations as to where to source the hardware?

Old 08-29-12, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best bet is to shop around online. I buy this stuff from a distributor, so I don't have a lot of insite on the online vendors.

Just remember, a SW 3000 is just a slightly modified Vista 20p. Yes, it monitors system and transmitter battery power with a keypad indication.

Old 08-29-12, 07:31 PM
thank you again for the information and quick responses.
as i move further into this project i'll post up if i have any additional questions....and my progress as well.

thank you!

Old 09-15-12, 12:23 PM
one more question - if i think i know both the correct master and installer codes, on a fixed display keypad is there any way to confirm these are the correct codes?

thank you.

Old 09-15-12, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it lets you go into programming, then you have the correct installer code. The master code will arm/disarm the system. There is no way to view the codes (other than the installer code, once in programming).

Old 09-15-12, 09:46 PM
well, i figured out the master code. still haven't figured out the installer code. of course, i haven't done the power down/up yet as that's going to take some coordination. my transformer is on another floor.

i've tried the standard one - also listed in my programming guide (which i found in the panel), but nothing happens when i key in the installer code listed.....

Old 09-16-12, 09:17 AM
i'm fairly convinced now that the system was programmed with the program mode lockout whereby i need to power down to get into programming. i'm fairly certain i have the right installer code.

the system is currently monitored - will powering down/up cause any issues or do I need to notify them first for any reason?

Old 09-16-12, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At most, they will get a low battery or ac fail signal. Just call and put the account on test, just in case you blow the timing on the * + #, and send a panic.