DSC PC1616 system - Trouble light is on but cannot be reset

Old 09-16-12, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC1616 system - Trouble light is on but cannot be reset

Hi,

I hired someone to install a new DSC security system that comes with 1 keypad (PK5500). Since I had 2 keypads (LCD500?) from the previous system, I asked the installer to connect the 2 keypads to the new system.

After the installation, It worked fine and he left. Before he left, he told me that I can add secondary user access code to the system. I added the secondary user access code into the system and the trouble light suddenly is on and the pad starts beeping every 3 seconds. I called the installer and he told me to power down the security system to get rid of the problem. I did as told and the beeping sound is now gone but the trouble light is still on. I browsed the user manual and tried *2 and *3 to get rid of the problem but to no avail. The system did not even telling me which zone or which panel is having the probelm. I called the installer telling him the problem. He told me he will get back to me. The next day, he called to tell me the old keypad is not compatible with the new PC1616 system. By adding a secondary user access code, I triggered the system trouble and the light will remain on. I asked him to come back to fix the problem because it was him who told me I can add an additional access code. He told me he was doing me a favor by adding the 2 old keypads to the new system and it was no longer his problem. Since I already paid him for the installation, my recourse is limited.

I asked him for the installation access code so that I can fix the problem but he refused. He said that he cannot release his access code that he used for his other system installation to me. Now I am stuck. Can someone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-12, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
At very least he should set your installer code back to the factory default. If you paid for the install, then (in nearly all states), it's your hardware and he can't/shouldn't lock you out of your hardware.

The phrase you need to use is "I don't wan't _your_ installer code, I wan't the _factory_ installer code restored, without altering the programming otherwise."

That said. If your existing keypads were the LCD 600 model (DSC) then they absolutely are _not_ compatible with your system, and this installer should have known better. Power the system down and disconnect them.

Old 09-16-12, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the response. I matched my keypad against the image I can find on the web, for sure it is DSC LCD500 may be LCD500z model.

I can use the LCD500 keypad to arm and disarm the system. The only problem I have is the trouble light is always on.

I am going to call the installer and tell him I want to have the installer restored to default setting.

Old 09-16-12, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We need to narrow down your keypad model number. Could it be a LCD 5000 or LCD 5001? (you may be truncating the model number)

If it's an actual LCD 500 (DSC Lcd-500 Security Station Compatible Pc2500 3000 Support, Problems, Solutions & Manuals), then it's definitely not compatible with your system.

Old 09-17-12, 08:05 AM
This is the picture of my keypad that I am not sure whether is PC1616 compatible.

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-12, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even I had my part numbers a little scrambled. That's a LCD5501 keypad. Yes, it's compatible with the newer alarm controls.

When you press *2, what is displayed?

Old 09-17-12, 11:13 AM
Thank you. It makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. I press *2, the #1 shows up on the screen and the orange trouble light is flashing. When I press 1 it shows 5 which I think is module supervision. I guess my installer just lied to me telling me that the keypad is not compatible because he did not want to make another visit to my home without charging me?

Thanks

Old 09-17-12, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The keypads are compatible if you have LCD5501.

"Light [5] General System Supervisory: The panel has lost communication with a module connected to the Keybus"

It sounds like you may simply have a loose wire on one of your three keypads, or he set all of your keypads to the same address.

If all of the keypad functions work on all three keypads, you may just need to fix the addresses and/or run the supervision routine.

Old 09-17-12, 01:57 PM
How to fix the address?

*8[installer code] [902] then [903]?

I tried the default 5555 installer code and it is not working. I placed a phone call to the installer asking him to give me the installer code.

Old 09-17-12, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To set keypad addresses: (At each keypad )
*8 [installer code]
##
(repeat and use 12 for the second LCD5501, and use 18 for the PK5500)

I'd still double check the wiring connections at each end for all three keypads.

_Then_ run the supervision sequence.

Old 09-17-12, 04:49 PM
I was just told they cannot provide me with the installer code. They said it is "illegal" for alarms company to provide their customer with the installer code. They said they can send someone to my house to "fix" the problem at a minimum rate.

I call this a rip-off! I am going to try all 10000 codes and one of them will work! It may take me a few nights but I refuse to buckle under this type of pressure. Too bad I already paid for the alarm monitoring service for the next 3 years. Otherwise I will consider switching to another monitoring company.

Old 09-17-12, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"They said it is "illegal" for alarms company to provide their customer with the installer code."

To which I reply: Hog. Wash.

I assume that you have the installer manual for your system? If this were my hardware, I would default the darned thing and start over without the so-called "pro" installer involved.

Is your system monitored? How many zones are actually on the system, and do you know what they are?

The DSC programming interface isn't the most intuitive, and their installer manuals are notorious for being not layman friendly, but unless your system is complex, it's not that hard to correct (as long as your friendly helper didn't use the installer lockout feature).

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz26lplmDJS

Old 09-17-12, 05:12 PM
I have 8 zones and they labelled all 8 zones. I turned off the PC1616 system and on start up, it only beeps twice which means the lock up feature is not activated. I read a blog somewhere saying that it will give out 12 long beeps if the lock up feature is activated. When I powered down the machine, all I need to reprogram is the date/time at restart. If I reset everything, I will need to start from scratch!

I am going to go through the user manual and the installation manual to make sure I feel comfortable to re-program the system. I am not as smart as you with security system but I do have a PhD in information technology management. I think I should be able to manage this darn machine!

However, any tips on what to watch out in programming this machine will be very much appreciated.

Old 09-17-12, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The section of the manual to read most intently is the section on programming. Since your have a PK5500 keypad, it's not as daunting as doing it with the LED or Fixed Alpha keypad.