Moose Z1100 System 1

Old 09-18-12, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moose Z1100 System 1

Z1100 System I
When system had smoke detector problem (alarm continually sounding), some wires and fuse were disconnected. Since then all smoke detectors were replaced with updated replacements. Now wires need to be reconnected. I have two reds to connect to terminal #24 and one black to terminal# 28. I have one wire (black) that goes from terminal #31 outside the cabinet to a resistor, marked [CP10 Mexico 10W 1 ohm 10% Dale 9722] a wire (white) then goes inside the cabinet. It is this wire I have doubts as to where to connect it. Any enlightenment appreciated.
I am obviously not an electrician, just a handy guy.

Last edited by hookcapn; 09-18-12 at 11:39 AM. Reason: wrong system #
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-12, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hmmm, this is one of those where it's very difficult to give you any meaningful advice. There is no real wiring standard for security systems, especially adding smokes on one of these old beasts. I usually tell people to invest in wire markers and/or tape and a fine point marker before they disconnect things.

That said; the wire with the resistor is most likely the zone wire.

Look at figure 5-1 in the installer manual: http://www.ies-co.com/html/files/moosez1100i.pdf

Old 09-18-12, 06:07 PM
Don't know what I was thinking when disconnecting wires. I usually mark where it goes.

Per warning note on figure 5-1, I will attempt connecting the last wire (white) to terminal 27 the K-2(+) Trigger. Also since that seems to be the extent of travel.

Given the time, I will try that tomorrow PM and report result.

Thank you for responding.

Old 09-22-12, 10:13 AM
Moose Z1100 System 1

Z1100 System I
Original post:
When system had smoke detector problem (alarm continually sounding), some wires and fuse were disconnected. Since then all smoke detectors were replaced with updated replacements. Now wires need to be reconnected. I have two reds to connect to terminal #24 and one black to terminal# 28. I have one wire (black) that goes from terminal #31 outside the cabinet to a resistor, marked [CP10 Mexico 10W 1 ohm 10% Dale 9722] a wire (white) then goes inside the cabinet. It is this wire I have doubts as to where to connect it. Any enlightenment appreciated.
Update:
Since my original post I located two other wires, properly labeled, which have now been reconnected to #11 and #12 (Zone 8 Smoke) One of the reds and the black are actually from the siren re: smoke. I connected the black to negative terminal #28. Question 1I believe the red goes to terminal # 24, but siren sounds when touching red wire to terminal. The second red is the power to smoke detectors, which is on Zone 8 and that red wire is now connected to #24. The smoke fuse is in place. Question 2 I am still baffled as to where to connect the white wire coming from the resistor. There are no lights on any of the smoke detectors.
I have attached a picture, if a photo would help.
Any enlightenment or clues are welcome.
This all begs the big question, Will it work when done?

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-12, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is where describing your specific connections in terms of wire color are pretty much meaningless, because there really isn't a standard (the wire colors in a multi conductor cable vary by brand, and sometimes batch). That said; what you need to do is identify which wire on your smoke detector are
  1. 12V postitive power
  2. 12V negative power
  3. and the two alarm contacts

+ power goes to terminal 31
- power goes to terminal 28
the zone connections go to terminal 11 & 12 with the zone resistor normally across the normally open terminals of the last smoke in the loop (normally with an EOL relay installed as well)

What it sounds like you have is other zone wiring mixed in with what you thought were only smoke detector connections.

I cannot even hazard a guess as to what they were doing with a heavy power resistor connected to the smoke power + terminal. A lot of these early Moose installs had to do some fairly strange wiring to do things that are standard features now.

Old 09-22-12, 12:43 PM
Moose Z1100 System 1

identify which wire on your smoke detector are
1. 12V postitive power This is a red wire, currently not connected. S/B #31 per your note. This is where the heavy power resistor (black wire) is connected leaving the white wire coming from that resistor not connected
2. 12V negative power This is a black wire, currently connected to #28. OK
3. and the two alarm contacts These are connected to #11&#12 (zone 8). OK note: There is an EOL resistor in place. There is also a resistor (banded red,red,red,= 2.2 Kohms, +/-10%) connected across #11 & #12 at the terminals.

Does this help or hinder this exercise?

Old 09-22-12, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like there was a resistor on the zone terminals to let that zone show as normal. As far as the power resistor, there is no normal purpose for such a part in a normal smoke detector wiring loop (look at the diagram in the manual). Perhaps your system originally had something odd, like 6 volt smokes.

There is a _lot_ of extraneous and non-standard (even for systems of this vintage) wiring in there.

If you have replaces all of the smokes with modern models, just wire it per the manual, and eliminate all of the odd stuff.

Rely on the manual and double check your connections. Moose Z series panels were the top of the line when they were new, but a lot of their features were unique, even then, so they can be a pain to work on.

Old 09-22-12, 02:14 PM
OK then I do as you suggested since all detectors were upgraded.
That would mean eliminating the odd heavy resistor off #31, as well as the little resistor across #11 & #12.
Simply attaching the 12V positive power wire (red) to terminal #31.

Then cross fingers with conviction.

Will advise.
Thanks for prompt replies, I think

Old 09-26-12, 06:07 PM
Moose Z1100 System 1

OK then, I eliminated the odd heavy duty resistor at terminal 31.
Checked wiring connections were secure.
Checked continuity on power wires through all detectors.
Reconnected power wires, red + to #31 and Black - to #28.
When I removed small resistor at #11 & #12 system began beeping.
I replaced the resistor at #11 & #12 and beeping stopped.
All smoke detector LED's were blinking once every seven seconds per ESL 445C
manual.
Sprayed "smoke" at detector and yeehaa alarm sounded.:HF2:

Does that mean my smoke detector system is properly functioning?

Old 09-27-12, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yup, sounds like it worked...

Old 09-27-12, 09:15 AM
Thank you bunches for your patience and guidance

Old 05-17-13, 07:04 AM
I want to disable Zone 16 (configured for emergency wireless button) of my Moose Z1100. Can someone show me how to do it? Thanks.

Old 05-17-13, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's zone 16, that means that you have a Z234 zone expander. (http://www.diyalarmforum.com/Downloa.../z234-inst.pdf)

Remove the wires coming from the wireless receiver (almost certainly an after-market add-on) from the zone 16 and the adjacent negative. Replace those wires with a 2200 ohm (red red red for the first 3 stripes) resistor. At that point, you are basically done.

If you want to be thorough, you can disconnect the power wires for the wireless receiver from the panel's 12v power connections; but once the zone wires are disconnected, that's the main deal.