Beeping / chirping every minute - battery changed recently

Old 10-03-12, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beeping / chirping every minute - battery changed recently

Hello,

Came home today to the alarm system chirping roughly once a minute. It's not actually going off - just a single short high pitched beep.

We changed the battery a couple of months ago, and nothing is displayed on the control panel. We've lived in the house for ~2years, and have never had any monitoring.

The last time this sort of chirping happened was when we'd had a few blackouts that drained the battery. As a result we replaced it. Not sure what else could be causing it.

We have an Ademco of some variety. Control panel says Security Manager 2000, but I suspect that is the control panel rather than the alarm system. Note I am from Australia, so likely an Australian model.

How can I get rid of this damned noise?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-12, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Are you _sure_ that the sound is coming from the system keypad? It's not uncommon for people to hear a sound like this, assume that it's the alarm system, only to discover that it's actually a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector in the same room.

Your system is a clone of a Vista 20se, if there's a trouble on one of these, it's a continuous rapid beeping with a code displayed on the keypad.

Old 10-03-12, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello again,

Shortly after posting this I checked out a smoke alarm. Pulled out the battery, tested it with a multimeter, then put it back in. The noise stopped.

Not sure why it worked - is there an alarm just to remind us to open the battery compartment every once in a while? Anyway, problem solved.

Old 10-03-12, 08:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
May have been a poor battery connection, or it may have been a battery that is right on the borderline of failure (batteries may test good for voltage, unloaded, but fail under load).