Gate open alarm

Old 10-08-12, 11:33 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Gate open alarm

Hi all

I need a suggestion on a remote alarm, should cover at least 400 feet, that will alert me when our driveway gate stays open. Red flashing light will be fine

For reasons multiple, our gate often stays open, it's very easy to do from remote in rush or by oversight. I am fed up with this, as there's gate opener and 2 large deep cycle batteries asking to be stolen just like that. :NO NO NO:

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hmmm, I'm guessing that your gate operator doesn't have a time delay auto close feature.

Depending on the features of your gate operator, there are easy and hard ways to do this. The range is the issue, you would need a mid range transmitter and reciever:

Product Information Page - Linear LLC
Product Information Page - Linear LLC

You use a set of outdoor rated contacts on the gate, and set up the receiver to trigger your signal device.

There's not really an out of box solution for this that has the kind of range you need, so you have to "roll your own".

Old 10-08-12, 09:10 PM
It has 1 minute auto close feature. It can be easily disabled though, by pressing remote button 2nd time, after gate movement was initiated. Hence, we can stop gate anywhere we want to in it's path.
I reckon, yesterday, inlaw rushed, pressed button twice leaving, and locked gate 2 inches away from its full open point.
Le t me look at your links. Thank you.

Old 10-08-12, 09:15 PM
OK, so what exactly does it do? I need translation. Also, says it's 1 mile to 10 miles RF range, which is plenty for my 400 feet.

Old 10-09-12, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
It is something of an overkill, in terms of range, but all of the alternatives max out at the 200-250 foot range. Example: (Safety Turtle Wireless Gate Alarm Transmitter, Green - Smarthome)

The transmitter has an input for a contact/switch. The receiver has a relay output. Put a contact on the gate, and the relay will change states when the gate is in the open position. Use the receiver relay to control your light/buzzer/etc.

Old 10-09-12, 09:44 AM
I see. Basically, it's a fancy alarm system door sensor with huge range.

I think, I found a simpler and maybe even better solution. Security camera. They are easily available at 450 range, and I can set monitor somewhere where I see it from my bed (when kid comes home late). I wake up at night several times, no big deal to glance at it.

Thank you for your input.