Aiming Security Cameras

Old 10-17-12, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aiming Security Cameras

It's my understadng, that you want to aim the cameras facing *downward* to prevent the sun from burning the sensor.

From the POV (point of view) on a camera let's say facing my front door, wouldn't I want it somewhat lower to get a better angle of any human face ?

I'm not sure in which direction I'm headed yet on camera....but just doing basic research ..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-12, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Mounting locations and aiming for cameras is something of a "by the seat of the pants" thing. There are not really any absolutes, because you have to take into consideration your "microclimate".

Burning the sensor is less of an issue that picking an angle that will constantly put a lens flare in your image. Most quality installers will use a portable monitor so they can look at the image before they do a permanant mount.

Old 10-18-12, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
Another reason for mounting them high and aiming down is that it puts the camera more out of harms way. Down low aiming up at someones face puts it within easy reach and is just asking for someone to fiddle with it. Also if the camera is aimed up the lens will get dirtier as dust and insect droppings collect on it.