VISTA-20P and Magicjack for Paging

Old 10-20-12, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool VISTA-20P and Magicjack for Paging

I have a VISTA-20P panel. I had it set up to call my cell phone on arm and dis-arm using the Pager *160 options. It all worked fine for years. I am experimenting with changing over to Magic Jack. (AT&T was over $30/month for local calls and all I use is a cell phone. Seemed like a waste.) I rewired so that the Magic Jack output only goes to a multi-phone base station and to the alarm panel. (I am not trying to use the line seizure function.) I removed the modular connector in the panel that connects to the Vista terminal board. I connected a phone handset to the modular connector and got a dial tone and was able to call another phone. I disconnected the handset and re-connected the modular connector to the terminal board on the Vista-20.
I re-programmed the *160 with my ten digit cell number, put nothing in the *161, put 4,0,0 into *162. I also added a second cell phone into *163, nothing into *164, and 4,0,0 into *165.
The system rebooted and I tried to arm and dis-arm the system. No luck. It did not call my cell. I tried adding a #+13 (as a 2 second delay) as a prefix to my cell number in *160 and that did not help.
Am I missing something? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 12:09 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I have zero experience with these components but I do know a bit about VoIP telephone systems. Many VoIP adapters (Magic Jack is VoIP) are polarity sensitive. Try reversing the telephone connection at the alarm panel and see if that makes a difference.

Old 10-20-12, 12:30 PM
I tried reversing the 2 wires from the Magic Jack to the Alarm Panel, no difference. It was one of my first guesses too. I assume that the VISTA-20P uses simple tone dialing just like the handset that i had connected previously. In fact, I tried dialing my cell using the temporary handset and it worked with the wires reversed or not reversed.

Old 10-20-12, 01:11 PM
Regular telephone line's steady DC voltage is -48V. I doubt Magicjack provides 48 Volts. It may just be 5 or 12 volts. Measure it with a DC Volt/ multi-meter. It seems like Vista 20P is looking for a higher voltage level.

Alternately, may I suggest connecting an EnvisaLink 3 module ($100) to the keypad bus of 20P? Originally designed for DSC systems, they were about to release new firmware to include Honeywell systems. Get a free account on eyez-on.com and monitor, status check and manage your 20P from any smartphone and computer (free so far). Optionally, you can sign up for professional monitoring for a fee.

Old 10-20-12, 01:14 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Then I have nothing, sorry.

In fact, I tried dialing my cell using the temporary handset and it worked with the wires reversed or not reversed.
The handset you used obviously has a "polarity guard" installed. Very early "Touch Tone (r)" telephones were polarity sensitive. I have an old "Trimeline (r)" handset I use for a butt set that IS polarity sensitive and I keep it around for that very reason, I can then identify the Tip and Ring connections on any telco line.

Old 10-20-12, 02:12 PM
I just measured the output voltage of the Magic Jack. It is 47 volts DC. I would not have guessed that, but on the other hand, it does need to be compatible with all handsets and phones out there on the market, new or old.

Old 10-20-12, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 36 Posts
A _lot_ of people try to use "magic jack" and it's clones for alarm communication, with wildly mixed results.

Remember, these things are designed to transmit _voice_ (the V in VOIP). The DTMF tones generated by alarm systems often spit out faster than the circuitry in one of these VOIP systems can translate, and require a better phone line quality than one of these devices can provide.

The same device plugged into a different ISP might work just fine...

Old 10-20-12, 03:15 PM
I went back and read the *162 a few more times. I assumed that the 4 meant "ALL" as in all alarms, open, close, trouble. Then I saw the 5. I thought I needed the 4. That is what is written in my "cheat sheet". I may have had a 5 programmed in before. My testing today was only open and closes with no result. I changed *162 to a 5, and guess what, all is OK.
I am sorry to have posted a problem that I created myself due to not reading and understanding all the options. I dismissed the 5 option because I did not think that the "for all users" was important.
I did change the wiring for tip and ring to be the correct polarity. I must have got them mixed up trying to try different combinations.
Again, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.