Craziest thing I ever saw - sympathethic alarm

Old 12-12-12, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craziest thing I ever saw - sympathethic alarm

Came home one day. I hear that stupid alarm chirp that mean the battery is low on one of the smoke alarms. Can't tell which one it is since they are all chirping. I have a set of 5 Kiddie that are daisy chained. Replace the battery in each one. Damn thing is still chirping. Hours later I go to the basement where I have a seperate CO detector that is not hard wired to the smokes but is only 1 foot away from one of the smoke alarm, change the battery in that and the chirp ends.

Is this even possible?

Old 12-12-12, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
On the inter-connected 120 volt/battery backup units........only the low battery unit should chirp....not all of them.

I get calls all the time for low battery chirps. My systems are hardwired to an alarm panel and have no batteries in them. There is always that one CO detector hiding somewhere with a low battery.

How do I charge a customer for a service call when it wasn't even one of my smoke heads.

Old 12-13-12, 02:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
That little piezo chirp carries in an amazing way. The sound sometimes seems to travel through the ductwork, under the right conditions.

There is also the simple fact that, generally, in a location all the backup batteries are a similar age, and it only takes one power failure to drop them all below that low battery threshold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: