Chirping smoke alarm

Old 02-02-13, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Chirping smoke alarm

My smoke alarms are hardwired and interconnected I changed battery. Still chirps. Killed power, reset. Still chirps. Replaced entire smoke alarm - still chirps. In fact, when I killed the main circuit, it STILL chirped! Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-13, 07:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You said changed the "battery". They are interconnected and one failed battery will universally chirp. You may have a dead battery in an obscure detector, say in a garage, or basement that is causing this. I'd change them all now, and at every time change as a good reminder.

Old 02-02-13, 01:30 PM
Thanx. I changed them all. Still chirping?

Old 02-02-13, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do they all have 120volt power? Checked at each unit? Just trying to figure out why and going through the checklist.

Old 02-02-13, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Some of the more recent models will chirp if the sensing chamber is dirty, in which case it's time to replace it. You have to listen carefully to localize which one is doing the chirping.

Also, people often have CO detectors plugged into obscure corners, which also have backup batteries, and also chirp when out of spec.

Unfortunately, that chirp tone carries well, especially if you have a lot of hard surfaces, and _all_ of them use basically the same piezo sounder.

Old 02-02-13, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 381 Posts
At each unit the indicator should be a constant green with a red flash roughly every ten seconds.

Old 02-04-13, 01:05 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
ChosunOne

I just want to add my $.02 worth because I've gone on ~so~ many service calls over the years for exactly this symptom:
Heed what MrRonFL says : "Unfortunately, that chirp tone carries well, especially if you have a lot of hard surfaces, and _all_ of them use basically the same piezo sounder." and "You have to listen carefully to localize which one is doing the chirping."

My experience has been that localizing the source of the chirping means putting your ear right next to the source to confirm that it's really the source. I mean, with your ear _against_ it. That high-pitched sound, as MrRonFL says, penetrates well and is almost impossible to localize by standing still in one place and trying to tell the direction. It just doesn't work! I've had people swear they could tell it was coming from a keypad or smoke detector, before I tracked it down to various things like a smoke detector stored in a drawer, an alarm clock, a pager, and recently an exercise machine left turned on by a visiting relative.

In other words, don't confine your search to just the smoke detectors.

Old 02-05-13, 04:38 PM
Thank you. I will do that, but I'm fairly certain where it's coming from. But I will listen again very carefully. Concern is that it's the one nearest the furnace in the basement and I think that's the only one down there. But thank you!