can Z-wave rellite the boiler flame at work?

Old 02-10-13, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can Z-wave rellite the boiler flame at work?

I am doing research on a home system, but all this research has made me rethink the system at work. I doubt our work system has been upgraded in years.

ADS monitors our gas boiler. (they call it a medical alarm but it is not)

If the flame goes out ADS calls us and we have to go in an re-light the boiler in the middle of the night or some other inopportune time. Once we get there all we have to do is push a button.

Because of my home research I am wondering if there is some type of Zwave item that will push that button?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Don't you have to hold a button down (gas valve) and push the ignitor button ?

It would seem to me that the ultimate fix to this problem is get the pilot issue repaired.
I don't think I'd want an automatic system relighting a pilot if I wasn't actually there.

Old 02-10-13, 10:43 AM
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
ChosunOne

Okay, I'm a burg alarm tech who does residential burg/fire systems, and I've -troubleshot- and repaired commercial fire system over the last 35 years, but you really need a fire alarm guy to weigh in to tell you about Fire Code.

However...I'm 99.9% certain that jacklegging a device to automatically or remotely relight a pilot light is illegal, and probably incurs jail time, not just a substantial fine.

PJmax is right, all contemporary pilot lights are designed to take more than a button push to restart. They're designed that way for a reason. Back before they were designed that way, valves let gas seep out until it found some ignition source, and buildings blew up and set blocks of buildings on fire.

I would follow PJmax's advice and address the issue with the pilot light.

Old 02-10-13, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
While it seems like a good idea, it's against several different life safety and fire codes, and a general bad idea. Just as it's not "according to Hoyle" to reset a fire alarm remotely, the same applies to relighting a combustable gas pilot.

They are set up to make someone have to physically be present because you are supposed to be checking the why of the pilot going out.

Old 02-10-13, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remotely lighting a pilot on any appliance with any device is a big no no.The best thing to do is to get the issue with the boiler control resolved.You shouldn't have to keep resetting it like that.