Troubleshooting Ademco Vista 15P

Old 02-12-13, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting Ademco Vista 15P

Hello, Thanks for this informative forum. I'd like to surprise my husband by resolving our alarm problems. I've read the fix for some of our issues, but am wondering if I could get some help with what sequence I should address each issue. We have an Ademco Vista 15P (motherboard reads SAVS15P3) with two keypads (similar in look to Honeywell 6150) and I have an owner code (but I don't think this is the same as the installer code). My goal is to have the alarm chime when a door opens or to sound off if an entry is breeched when it is armed, but not to pay for any monitoring service. The alarm was unused for several months, showing two codes: "FC not ready", "04 alarm". (I see the FC fix info in the FAQ.) Then the alarm began beeping constantly and added a third code: "09 not ready Bat". The installer wrote the location of the zones 1-6 on the panel door. 4 is "office door & sunroom" but there is no number 9. I replaced the four-year old 12volt system battery (just by undoing the leads, I did not unplug the AC power to the system.) The alarm began beeping in rapid sequence which stopped when I pressed 1. But all the codes remain. Can you help me as to what to do in what order? Thanks so much for your help (and info)!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 30 Posts
Somewhere in the house, you have a wireless device with a low battery. It may be a smoke detector, a motion, or a forgotten door/window. the "04 alarm" was just the memory of the last alarm trip.

Old 02-12-13, 01:32 PM
Do you think the system 12 volt battery was never the problem? The store said I could return it if it didn't turn out to fix the problem - but with the original one four years old, am I smart to replace it anyways? Should I proceed first with fixing the FC code? Am I right that I will need to use the procedures to get the installer code (vs using the owner code)? Will that also clear the old "04 alarm" trip? And lastly, any tips on identifying the low battery for "09" a zone that is not labelled? I could try the motion detector first, but that's labelled "03". Could 09 refer to one of the wall panels? Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Old 02-12-13, 09:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At 4 years, the battery is mostly through it's lifespan (5-7 years is pushing it).

Yes, go into programming, turn off the dialer to clear the FC and extract your installer code.

Clearing the alarm memory is just a matter of entering your user code + 1 as if disarming the system.

No, the keypad will not be an alarm zone on this system.

Were I to guess, I would look for the one smoke detector that looks different from the others.

Old 02-14-13, 07:26 AM
Thanks very much! With your instructions it was easy to clear the FC code. Once the alarm system was on, we used the chime function to check exactly what entry/window was on each zone. Even though the installer wrote the zones on the control panel door as 1-6 with the front door being 1, we found the front door was actually zone 9, and the source of our "low bat" code. We didn't realize that door (perhaps because the door has a lot of stained glass) has a battery vice being wired. We'll replace that small button battery.

We also found that the senosors installed in one door frame didn't work at all (even when we pushed it) and another worked when we pushed it but it wasn't positioned correctly to be triggered by opening the door. We'll order two of these parts but do you have any special instructions or advice about installing them? Thanks again for the information and giving us the confidence we could do this.

Old 02-14-13, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not really a big fan of mechanical switches for doors because they flat wear out, and more quickly than you would expect, and as you can see by the one that's not making contact, the physical alignment of the door can be an issue.

But that's what you have, and it can be difficult to convert to more reliable magnetic contacts. You may have to play with how the door sits in the frame to get the contacts to work the way you want.