Smoke detector replacement; System Sensor i3 vs ESL Smoke sensors

Old 02-12-13, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke detector replacement; System Sensor i3 vs ESL Smoke sensors

Hello all,

I am having a hard time deciding which of the 2 brands to choose from to replace my old wired security smoke detectors. The two brands which I came familiar with are System Sensor i3 smoke detectors (with thermal detection) and ESL Smoke Sensors (formerly GE brand).

Both seem to have all the features I'm looking for 1) Self diagnostics, 2) Thermal sensor at 135 degrees Farenheit, 3) Photoelectric smoke sensing, 4) Thermal heat sensing of 135 degree Farenheit, 5) Freezing temperature trouble reporting (41-43 degrees Farenheit)

I have noticed that ESL smoke detectors have an additional sensing capability of rate-of-rise sensing. This is sensing technology that detects 15 degree increases per minute (above 105 degree Farenheit) which is standard on every ESL smoke detector. I have not seen System Sensor i3 brand with the rate-of-rise sensing on their smoke detectors.

I personally think that ESL brand is better because it has 4 detecting components: 1) Smoke, 2) Thermal, 3) Rate of rise, 4) Freeze trouble. System Sensor i3 smoke detectors do not have the rate of rise feature.

I have a GE Concord based security system and currently have 2 wire smoke connections.

I would like to get some honest feedback from people who have experience with these brands.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Both are industry standards, both work equally well. Buy the one that's got the best price.

In the grand scheme of things, that rate of rise feature is more meaningful on a heat only device. The smoke sensing is going to detect an incipient fire long before you get the 15 degree in 60 second temperature change.

Old 02-13-13, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re

Thanks MrRonFL for your input. So I guess rate-of-rise is most beneficial in a furnace room for example? Also the attic I suppose?

Old 02-13-13, 08:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
A rate of rise _heat_ only device is best used for places like mechanical rooms, furnace rooms, attics and the like where the environment is too dirty for a smoke.