DSC 832 Keep it or start over

Old 02-15-13, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 832 Keep it or start over

We have this system installed by a company that we refuse to deal with any longer. The system was going into trouble every few weeks, for one reason or another, and the company wanted to change an arm and leg each time they came out. hey always found a way to blame something other than what they did last time, so they could charge again.

Anyway, the system is maybe 10 years old, and I wonder is it worth dumping money into, or should I start anew? I don't have the master code to get into the program.

The system has 7 wired zones and 15 wireless. A couple sirens, and one keypad. We no longer have a land line, and we were using the system as a stand alone.

If I get a new system, I could use the wired devices I would think, but don't know if the wireless door/window devices could be used. I would want a second keypad, that is located in the bedroom, the one we have now is just inside the front door, which is OK to arm/disarm, but not so good if an alarm goes off at night.

So, should I start new or try to resurrect the 832?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
What model wireless do you have? The older DSC 900mhz wireless was somewhat notorious for being a bit of a problem; The newer 433mhz devices are a better product.

What is the nature of your troubles? A meaningful answer depends on if the troubles were system based or device based.

Old 02-15-13, 10:49 AM
From memory, there was one "zone" tat kept giving trouble. The window device was changed several times, and kept going back into trouble. Then, that particular window was put on another zone, and it went into trouble again. Then, it would go into trouble when we took the land line out. The technician supposedly took the dial out feature out, but troubles kept coming back. I finally unplugged the transformer and disconnected the battery.

It's a 433mhz. Some time ago, my wife bought me a fancy weather station, which had remote sensors. Well, it operated on 433 too, and every so often the timed signals would cross or conflict, and set the alarm off. I had to return the weather station.

Old 02-17-13, 03:45 PM
Well, since nobody wants to address my issue, can I ask one question. Can I use my wireless window/door devices with a new DSC system? New batteries are a lot cheaper than 25 bucks a pop for new. I also have two sirens and one motion sensor I could reuse if it will be compatible.

Old 02-17-13, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Volunteer forum; not manned 24-7.

That said:

You will probably come out better starting with a new PC1832 model. While you could default the PC 5010, it sounds like you have had a lot of half-baked programming and repair attempts. The new system will let you start with a clean slate and a full set of instructions.

The 433mhz devices are compatible with the current hardware.

Old 02-18-13, 07:03 PM
you could also use the old keypad- this may be the method of receiving the wireless signals- unless you know if there is a receiver somewhere in the house?

its not all the hard to program, some say it is- you wouldnt have anything to compare it to- so, you would be learning the DSC method-

i agree, buy a POWER 1832, and go forward

ask any questions- not everyone sits here ready to answer or comment, "you get what you pay for" but for free- you cant beat some of the inforamtion you get here.

ask away

Old 02-20-13, 07:53 AM
Thank you for the replies. I think it will be better to start fresh, at least with the control panel.

So before I step into this and go buying things, if I reuse the wireless window devices I have, how do they get programed/identified with the new panel? I would install fresh batteries of course.

This would save a lot of money using these!

Thanks again, I hope to not make a pest of myself asking questions.

Old 02-21-13, 12:21 AM
each unit has a serial number, these would need to be re-programmed for each zone on the new system

- do you know if you have a keypad with a built in reciever? or an external one? box with -2- antennas on it?

Old 02-21-13, 06:25 AM
I do not recall ever seeing a box with antennas, so I assume the keypad does it. I'm going to add another keypad, or buy two new ones with the control unit, either way.

Old 02-21-13, 08:42 PM
Watch out--what keypads do you have on your existing system?

I've run into trouble when updating 832 systems to the 1832 and keeping the old keypads, especially if you program your new system with the older style keypads (5500 LCD's). They can work if you have them on the system, but if you go in/out of programming they can do some weird stuff, especially if you have special functions or zones programmed on the keypad itself (some keypads allow you to put a hardwired zone right on the board so you don't have to run a wire back to the panel).

If you have LED keypads (with 8, 16, 32 lights for the zone numbers) you'll want to get an LCD keypad to program the new system with anyway. If you currently have only the LED keypads you wont be able to do any real programming since you can't see what you're changing, so you'd best get an 1832 in that case...

Almost forgot...the receiver with the antennas is hardwired to the bus. So just follow the keypad wires from your panel and see where they take you.

Last edited by AlarmtechGene; 02-21-13 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-22-13, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any keypad model, LCD or LED is a programming keypad on DSC. The LCD Alpha models _are_ a lot more novice friendly, since you don't need to use the binary translation table in the installation manual...

Old 02-22-13, 08:22 AM
you still need to know how the wireless signals are recieved at the panel.

either a PC5132 or one keypad with it built in.

if its the keypad- the model number will start RF xxxx

Old 02-22-13, 08:57 AM
I want to avoid as many problems as possible, so when I get the new panel, I plan on getting two new keypads, compatible with the panel. Having to buy 15 window wireless devices was the biggest cost for me.

The Home Security Store has an 1832 kit that has one keypad, and add one more and it's not that pricey.

Thanks guys for the input!

Old 02-24-13, 06:01 PM
since it seems your missing the point - explain to who ever takes your order- that you want to use the current window transmitters- and you want to make sure that what they sell you will recieve the signals sent from each of these.

they will let you know that you need to get either an RF-5132 or 1 "RFK-xxxx" series keypad

* sorry i called it a PC-5132 in the earlier post