New Vista 20SE installation: nothing shows up on the 6160 keypad

Old 02-16-13, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Vista 20SE installation: nothing shows up on the 6160 keypad

I'm a long time reader and I've posted a couple of questions on the forums and always got great answers. My brother-in-law just got a new place and we thought we'd try installing a brand new Vista 20SE by ourselves.

So far we have:
1. Installed the Vista 20SE itself, we mounted the cabinet enclosure and attached the Vista 20 SE circuit board to it. We also hooked up the 12V battery.

2. Installed the Honeywell 1321 Plug In 16.5V Transformer and hooked it up to 1-2 on the Vista 20SE.

3. Installed the Ademco 6160 Alpha Keypad and hooked it up to 4-5-6-7 on the Vista 20SE.
Before we spend additional money and time, we wanted to see if the system would work with just the power adapter and the 6160 keypad.

When we plug-in the power, we see the 6160 keypad lights-up – but nothing appears on the screen. We tried entering the installer code and entering programming mode (8-0-0) – but nothing happens.

What are the minimum steps to be able to see on the 6160 that the alarm system is working? Do we need to do anything additional to the three steps above?

We have also purchased these:
4. Honeywell Wave2 Interior Siren, 2 Tone2 Siren

5. Ademco System Sensor 2100T Smoke & Heat Detector 2-Wire

6. Ademco Honeywell 5816WMWH Wireless Door/Windows Sensor transmitters Lynx (x4)

7. Ademco Honeywell Hardware Kit for Vista 20SE (contains some resistors, etc…)
But we haven’t yet hooked them up.
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-13, 06:08 PM
You have to set the address on the keypad before it will display anything, at power up within 60 seconds,press and hold down 1 and 3 at the same time for a few seconds and you'll 31 as the default non-addressable mode change it to the address that you see in the installation manual for your 20se board.

Last edited by Dodgeman70; 02-16-13 at 06:12 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-16-13, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Are you sure that you have a Vista 20_SE_? The current production model is Vista 20 _P_. The SE has been out of production for 8-9 years.

The correct keypad address for a 20P is 16 for the first keypad.

Old 02-17-13, 01:45 PM
That worked! I pressed "1" and "3" and the address appears on the screen.

I bought the system on eBay and it was listed as a "Vista 20SE" (see Vista 20SE Alarm System | eBay)

When I press "1" and "3", 16 is the address the appears by default - and I cannot change it to 31, so maybe this is a Vista 20P?

We'll install the siren next - and then add the wireless sensors. Do we need to purchase an additional component to support the wireless receivers? My home Vista 20SE does have an extra board on top of the system board.

Thank you for the great info!

Old 02-17-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If the keypad works with an address of 16, then it's not connected to a Vista 20se. Look at the edge of the system motherboard, there will be a model number beginning with SAV printed on the PC board.

You need to sort this out. A 20se and a 20P program _very_ differently.

Yes, you need a 5881 series wireless receiver, or a RF model keypad to use wireless devices.