Installing new NX-8V2 Alarm System

Old 02-23-13, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new NX-8V2 Alarm System

Hi Guys,

I'm removing my obsolete Caretaker+ system and replacing it with a new NX-8V2 system, with hopes to be able to retain all of my current wireless sensors.

I've got the panel installed with two NX-1192e keypads, jumpered all 8 zones, plus the bell terminals, with 3.3k resistors, and everything looks good there. Next, I connected my NX-548e wireless receiver and attempting to program it into the panel is giving me some trouble that I don't understand.

The receiver appears to be connected and powered OK, as I get the green light at first for several seconds and then just the red blinking LED after that. I didn't touch the dip switches so they are in the default down position. But a couple different attempts in the programming section are giving me errors. Below is the sequence of keypad presses that I am using.

* 8 to enter into programming mode
9713 default program/installer code
35 # to enter into the receiver memory locations area
910 # to do a factory default on the receiver just to be sure
194 to enter into Location 194 (banking) of the receiver
1 press 1 to make it bank 1 = wireless first zone is 9
* to save the edit
# to exit location 194
EXIT to exit module 35 (the receiver)
EXIT to exit program mode and return to normal

Everything went fine until I got to the 910# entry. After I entered the 910 and pressed the # key I immediately received three beeps and (910) in the lower right of the LCD screen. Tried that a couple times with the same result so I decided to bypass that step and continued on. I entered the location 194 and then changed the 0 to a 1 to program the zones to start at 9, but when I pressed the * key to save I got the three beeps again with the (194) in the lower corner.

When I exit out both keypads always say System Ready-Enter Code to Arm.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 09:22 PM
3 beeps after you enter 910 means you successfully cleared it's memory...

Long story short...you don't need to program location 194...that's where your problem is...Leave it at "0". I know the manual is a little confusing on this (if you look closely, it tells you this location only needs to be programmed on the NX8E..you have a NX8)and needs to be updated...By leaving it at "0", you are telling the system that the RF zones can be anywhere from zones 1-48. The manual is assuming you are using an 8 zone receiver which is not made anymore

Old 02-25-13, 02:57 PM
You are correct, GEGUY. I didn't read the manual thoroughly enough. The 8v2 does not do the 194 banking, so I just started my wireless zones at 9.

One other question. Is there any way to delete a wireless sensor once it is learned in, without just learning another one over it?

Thanks...Randy

Old 02-25-13, 11:24 PM
yes...go to whatever location the sensor is learned into (location 9 for zone 9) and toggle 1 off....

Old 02-26-13, 01:48 AM
Figures, now that I have asked I find the answer in the 548 manual, way down under where it says to add them. Guess I just didn't read far enough.

Thanks for helping out anyway, GEGUY.

Old 02-26-13, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The trickiest thing with all of these alarm system manuals is that there is no apparant rhyme or reason as to where any given piece of information is buried in the text. Any alarm install involves a bit of page flipping.

Old 02-26-13, 11:12 AM
Yes, I am beginning to see that...need to read front to back several times during the install process. lol

By the way, Ron, I have another issue that maybe you can help with.

I have two water sensors, NX-695, that I am trying to learn into the system. I have tried everything that I can think of but neither of them will be recognized by the NX-548 receiver. I follow the instructions for adding sensors, which has worked for my other wireless sensors, but these do nothing when I press their program button...no response from the receiver at all.

I've tried replacing the batteries with fresh batteries...tried shorting the contacts while learning...tried holding the program button long time, short time...stood right next to receiver while programming...nothing seems too work.

These have never been used and were supposed to be brand new when I bought them, a couple years ago, for my Caretaker system, but I then found that they were not compatible with the Caretaker system so I just hung onto them until I upgraded, which is now.

Any ideas? Seems odd that they would both act the same exact way, if they are in fact defective.

Thanks...Randy

Old 02-26-13, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Short the water contacts, then press the program button on the transmitter when you are in device enrollment. If it doesn't work, then either the transmitters have failed while sitting in the box, or they are simply not compatible...

They _should_ be compatible.

Old 02-26-13, 03:35 PM
Thanks Ron, but the defect is not with the device...it's the inept programmer.

I got my self confused and was entering the # key, instead of the * key when programming in the zone number. Once I re-read the instructions (for the um-teenth time) I realized my mistake, and the water sensors went right in once I did it correctly.

That's what happens when you try to do things from memory.

Thanks...Randy