Need help connecting an external siren to GE Simon XT v2 version 1.4....

Old 03-03-13, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help connecting an external siren to GE Simon XT v2 version 1.4....

My siren on the main panel has been turned off. I only want to operate 1 or 2 external sirens. I've just received an Elk-960 relay / delay timer, Elk- P-624 power supply, Elk TRG 1640 transformer( 16.5 vac 40 va), and Interstate 12V 5Ah battery for back-up. I also have 4 siren options...GE-13-950, Elk SS30, GE slimline piezo, and a Radio Shack piezo. Trouble is, I don't know how to connect this stuff to the Simon XT. While the instructions included with the 960 relay and p624 power supply cover different options they don't cover what I want. Here is my goal: when Simon XT goes to alarm state, I want external siren activated for 5 minutes, then off for 5 minutes. That on/off cycle should continue until system is disarmed. The 5 minute cycles should be easy with the delay timer feature. But I can't figure out how to connect everything. Other than my obsession with having an external siren, my system is up and running perfectly. Please help...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-13, 07:17 PM
Don't know if you can actually get 5 min on/5 min off cycle, but:

Basic setup: two conductor from alarm panel to relay 'trigger'*, [-]neg lead from power supply to siren neg, [+]pos lead from power supply to common on relay and [+] lead from relay n/open to siren pos.

Battery to be connected to p/s. I think you need to activate in programming.

Piezo provides minimal sound.

* 6VDC relay [<250mA]

Last edited by tpring; 03-03-13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
The red arrows in the pic show the jumper posItions. Like tpring said......you'll need to activate the audible in programming.

I'm not so sure about the 5 minutes on and off setup. It should be on for 5 minutes and then off..... especially if you have neighbors. You need to take in account the audible time in the alarm programming too.

Be sure to set up the power supply for 12 volt operation.

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 03-03-13 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Revised drawing
Old 03-03-13, 11:39 PM
Thanks tpring. I'll try that. My fingers are crossed.......

Old 03-03-13, 11:52 PM
Thanks PJmax. I should be able to get with the info from you and tpring.

Old 03-06-13, 09:02 PM
Thanks again for the flow diagram. I'm now convinced I was sold a bad control panel. When system is in alarm state, no voltage is going to HW1 I/O & HW2 DC out according to my multimeter. I checked with & without them being connected. HW1 was set to function #6, which is for external sirens. Function #5 was also tried. Looks like I'll be buying a new control panel. Here is a little info about the on/off cycles. The Elk-960 time delay is set using a thumb wheel marked "R3". It's range is 0-60. Jumper 1 (JP1) allows the timer to operate in seconds or minutes. (JP2) activates the siren just once, for time set by (R3) and (J1) if it's set for 1-shot. But if (JP2) is set on repeat it goes to a 50/50 duty cycle. For me I wanted 5 minutes on and off. "R3" set to 5. (JP1) set to minutes, (JP2) set to repeat. When activated it sounds the siren for 5 minutes, off for 5 minutes. This continues until alarm is cleared. Not too worried about neighbors in my situation since my sirens will actually be indoors. Mainly meant to freak out would be intuders. Since my control panel is bad I tested the relay operation by unplugging, then plugging back in. When the relay is powered up it runs through whatever time cycles have been set up. Thanks again to you and TPRING for the help.

Old 03-06-13, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
You're welcome......