DSC alarm system - How to locate a senor

Old 03-03-13, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC alarm system - How to locate a senor

Hi

I am converting an old brinks/ADT system with a DSC system. I am reusing all of the sensors.
2 regular doors
1 Motion
1 sliding door (I think)

I have everything installed and all of the sensors work except the sliding door.
I Can't find it so I am wondering what a typical sensor would look like and where would it be installed?

The wire was labeled (by original brinks installer before we owned the house) as 'Patio Door' and the wire appears to lead to the door, but once it disappears into the floor (from the control box) I can't tell wehere it is going.

Any ideas how to figure this out with minimal destruction? There doesn't seem to be any holes or instalation artifacts near the door, and the doors are old enough that I have to assume they are the original doors.

Thanks

I ma

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-13, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Look in the header and latch side(s) of the door frame. They may have used the style of contact that fits into a hole drilled into the frame. Look for a round "plug" looking spot in the frame and header.

Sometimes, depending on how tight the door fits, they may have used a standard surface mount, and it's tucked into the void space above the door frame.

Old 03-04-13, 03:59 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Another trick that sometimes works:
Take a small steel wire (I use straightened paper clips) and hold it on one end while you trace the door edges of top and header with the other end. You're "feeling" for a magnet that might be installed in the slider itself. The sensor in the frame will be adjacent to that magnet when the door is closed.
If you happen to have a compass, that's even better for finding the magnet.

I'm assuming there's a magnetic sensor switch because any kind of roller/ball-plunger contact (~shutter~) would be easy to spot.

Old 03-06-13, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the help. I think I am giving up and this one and going to install a wireless sensor. I am pretty sure the wire was cut and some new trim placed over the whole.