Doorbell / Entry Alert

Old 03-07-13, 01:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doorbell / Entry Alert

I own and a shop and would like to have a chime that alerts me of a customers entrance into the office. I need to be able to hear this chime in the next room (lots of noise), which is separated by a door. I tried a wireless entry chime, but was not impressed with it's reliability (plus batteries are one more thing to buy).

Here's my question: Can I buy an off the shelf doorbell kit and wire in a contact switch (or some other kind of switch) instead of the press button?

Or there another option I am missing?

-BBG

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 44 Posts
That would work just fine. The doorbell unit doesn't care what kind of switch you use, as long as it's normally open and closes on actuation. Don't try to use a magnetic security reed switch; they are too light duty for the current a doorbell uses.

Old 03-07-13, 03:30 PM
B
Thanks Ron!

I thought there must be a way, it's just a switch right? Now I just have to find one that will work. Can anyone show me where to get such a switch?

Also, if I use a switch on the door, will it hurt the bell or transformer if the door is propped open?

Old 03-07-13, 04:05 PM
R
Bryce - You raise a good point about the effect of a propped-open door. Many "traditional" circuits (i.e. 24volt plug-in transformer wired to a pushbutton and a chime) are intended for momentary triggering, not a continuous current flow. (The longer the total length of the wiring, the more resistance; think of a car laboring to go up a hill and eventually overheating). I'd look for a switch that is triggered when the door is opened and immediately resets. A lot of systems use a paddle lever-type switch that can be mounted over a door and mechanically trips each time the top of the door hits it when opened. To the circuit, it's identical to a traditional pushbutton. Believe me, there is nothing as annoying as a bell or chime that goes off the entire time a door is held open! Alternatively, you can buy a commercial unit that uses a light beam and mirror, similar to your garage door emergency stop. Also, telecommunications equipment companies such as Raymer sell a small box that has screw terminals and an electronic chime generator that can connect to an amp/speaker. Finally, your burglar alarm company should also be able to install a system for you (if you don't mind the expense). Good luck! -- Ron

Old 03-07-13, 04:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 44 Posts
A beam unit is really the best choice. Many, if not most, have auxillary contacts that could be used to trip the door bell in addition to the built-in sounder.

Old 03-07-13, 08:54 PM
B
Like a garage door beam kit? That would be a normally closed switch though wouldn't it. My google-fu is way off tonight. No luck finding an off the shelf replacement switch.

Not sure if this (SL-40: Self-Contained Battery Operated Door Announcer)
would have auxiliary terminals.

Or if I should just get this: SL-40: Self-Contained Battery Operated Door Announcer

Old 03-07-13, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 555 Posts
Instead of the SL-40 ..... the AV-100 looks like it's exactly what you need. Same company.

http://www.doorannounce.com/Content/Uploaded/AV-100.pdf

Old 03-08-13, 04:36 AM
B
Yeah that's the one, the AV-100. Looks like if I just had the motion sensor from that kit, I could use that or just give up the $100 and get the kit. I've e-mailed the company.

I guess I was hoping I could take my $10 doorbell kit, add a $10 switch and be done with it. It's never that simple is it?

Old 03-08-13, 06:35 AM

Perhaps this...... Infrared photo beam door sensor

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-13, 08:00 AM
B
I think what's tripping me up is my limited knowledge about switches and voltage. The beam sensor is normally closed and would only be activated when the beam is broken, opening the circuit or turning it off in other words. This would be contrary to the push button for the doorbell which is normally open, closing the circuit momentarily when the button is pushed and activating the chime.

I think I'll stick to woodworking and order the AV-100.

Old 03-08-13, 09:04 AM

Actually......that beam sensor doesn't specify whether it operates as N/O or N/C

If it is in fact normally closed......then it can be very easily converted to normally open.

Adding a simple $4 relay would allow it to operate in a normally open manner.

Attached Images