Chime Only Zone

Old 03-10-13, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chime Only Zone

Hey guys, my alarm has been up and running great so far, thanks in large part to everybody that helped me with all of my issues and to learn the Cadxx install manual. Now that I know mostly what they are trying to say in that manual (does anybody understand it all lol) I've been able to accomplish most of my programming needs, save but for one small issue.

My garage is under my house with two separate doors. One is always locked and rarely opened, and I have it on a zone type 6, and the other has the electric opener attached, and is currently on zone type 3. (hardwire sensor 4)

I want to put that door on a zone type 25, chime only, just so I can monitor it to tell when it has been left open. There is another door that leads from the garage to the house that I have also sensored, so I'm not too worried about changing the roll up door to zone type to 25.

Problem is, whenever I make the change from type 3 to type 25 it immediately places a fault on the panel, whether the magnet is near or far, and I have to bypass it to arm the system...change it back to type 3 and all is well again. I thought this would be a fairly simple change but as usual, it's proving to be quite the challenge.

Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

These are the steps I took to make the change:
0#
25#
change the 3 to 25
#
exit
exit

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you just go into programming and view the programming location without making changes, does it display 25 (or the binary translation thereof) in programming location 25 segment #4.

Also, and most important, is your NX-8 a _pre_ V2 model? Zone type 25 doesn't exist on the first generation NX panels. If you want a chime only zone on one of those, you will have to pick an unused zone type (below 20) and and modify the zone type in the zone type characteristic programming location corresponding to that zone type.

Old 03-10-13, 06:27 PM
Right now if I just go into programming and view the programming location without making changes, it displays a 3 in programming location 25 segment #4. However, yesterday, when I changed that 3 to a 25 then it did display 25, but also gave me the fault. I hope that's what you meant.

I don't know what version panel I have. It is an NX-8V2, and was just purchased a few weeks ago, so I would think that it is current. But, who knows how long this thing was sitting in inventory before I got it.

The zone that I am trying to change is currently zone 4.

Thanks...Randy

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2NBbGFQ12

Old 03-11-13, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If it's a V2 panel, then zone type 25 should work.

If you set your zone type, and disconnect the field wiring from the zone input, and just use a zone resistor to jumper the input closed, does the zone work normally?

Old 03-11-13, 01:37 PM
You are a very wise man, Obi-Wan Ron! lol

I removed the field wire and installed the resistor and all was good. So I then reconnected the field wire with the resistor in series and it works perfectly.

I do have the EOL defeat feature enabled so that I wouldn't need the resistors but it looks as though I still need one for this zone type, for some reason. Oh well, not a problem.

Thanks for the help! You saved me again! lol

Randy