Using Ademco 4204 relay hooked up to 20P to open and close my garage door

Old 03-12-13, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Ademco 4204 relay hooked up to 20P to open and close my garage door

Hello,

I have my VISTA 20P connected to an Ademco 4204 with the intention to be able to open and close my garage door. I currently can open it from the keypad by entering User Code + [#] + 7 + [2-digit Logical Device Number]. This closed the relay and opend the door. The problem is that it is suppose to only close the relay for 2 seconds, but the relay never re-opens, and I cannot close the door since the door button is basically being held closed. The only way I can get around this is by entering User Code + [#] + 8 + [2-digit Logical Device Number]. I have the two wires attached to the 1st relay on the C and NO screws with the other end attached to the garage door button. Below is how I have the 4204 programmed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Enter output number 01
Output type relay 1
Module address 12
Relay position 1

Output Function 01
Activated by zone type 2
Enter zone type function key 66
Any Partition 0
Output action close for 2 sec 1
enter output number 01

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-13, 09:09 AM
Have you tried other output actions? Option 3 is 1 Sec On/Off, I would try that.

Old 03-13-13, 10:53 AM
Thanks, I will try that tonight.

Old 03-13-13, 03:30 PM
If I had to guess the relay is acting properly. Unless you have verified with a meter that it is fact staying closed. It sounds more to me that your programming is the issue. You in essence have only programmed one half of the effect you want.

I assume by function button you are speaking of the ones on the left side of the keypad. (Which keypad are you using?) You have told the panel to open the door when you press the function button, but you didn't give an option of when to trigger the relay again.

So check the relay with a DMM and verify it is opening back after the 2 seconds.
Then check your programming.

Old 03-13-13, 04:55 PM
Are you sure you set the dip switches on the 4204? I recently added a 4204 to a Vista 40 to shunt a keyswitch zone while disarmed and after double checking my programming, I realized that I forgot to address the module

Old 03-14-13, 06:28 AM
Changed to option 3, but made no difference

Old 03-14-13, 06:33 AM
I did verify with a meter that it is staying closed and the only way I can get it back to it's original state is by entering User Code + [#] + 8 + [2-digit Logical Device Number]. Everything seems to be programmed correctly as the relay is responding to my commands. One way I thought of resetting it is by adding a contact on the door so that whenever it opens I have the panel act on the event and have it enter User Code + [#] + 8 + [2-digit Logical Device Number]. I was hoping that there was an easier way.

Old 03-14-13, 06:38 AM
One additional item. I am not using the function buttons, just entering User Code + [#] + 7 + [2-digit Logical Device Number] from the controller. I also have a 4286 VIP phone module hooked up. What I am intending is to be able to open the door with my cell phone remotely by entering that command on the phone keyad. I have verified that it works, but the relay remains closed.

Old 03-14-13, 08:50 PM
Have you tried it 1) on a different relay, or 2) without the garage door wires attached to see if you get the same results?

Old 03-15-13, 05:57 AM
yes, tried both different relays and even a different 4204, same results. Also hooked a meter directly to the screw lugs on the 4204.

Old 03-15-13, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
This is a programming/operation issue. Using the code entry only activates the device, and _overrides_ the programmed time duration. This is actually in the instructions, but it's a single sentence buried in the mass of text.

For this to work you have to activate the output with a zone or a system operation. Typically, the spare button on a keyfob is programmed as a no alarm response zone to trip such a configuration. Trying to do it using a telephone link may not be do-able unless you accept having to send the de-activation command as well. You could do it with a macro.

Old 03-15-13, 11:32 AM
Thanks, that's what I assumed was happening.

Old 03-20-13, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've been trying different options, each striking out. I was looking into setting up a macro as you mentioned, but have not figured out how to do it. Is it possible to set up a macro on some event or zone tripping to do the following "User Code + [#] + 8 + [2-digit Logical Device Number]"?
Again, thank you for your help

Old 03-25-13, 07:12 AM
For any of you trying to do the same, I found an old link that provides a solution that works!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...mbination.html

Old 03-25-13, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had actually forgotten about that solution. It's sort of going from Florida to New York by way of Texas, but it will work. This is one of the sort of operations that Vista panels actually aren't at their best for...

Old 04-04-13, 06:19 AM
wwrauers

The 4204 hookup has been helpful. I am trying to use an Uplink 2500 with a First Alert panel to allow interactive access (smart phone). I don't think the panel has programmable outputs. Do I need a 4204 module? What the best way to program to allow for this?

Old 04-04-13, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vista panels have programmable outputs (used to activate external relays, LEDs, etc.), but for doing this sort of thing the 4204 relay board is a lot easier to use and configure because it provides the relay as opposed to just a trigger.