Wiring for GE 60-924-RF-TS Simon XT Talking Touchscreen

Old 03-12-13, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring for GE 60-924-RF-TS Simon XT Talking Touchscreen

Hi All! I'm new to DIY forum. Thought I'd try it for help with my issue.

I have/had a GE talking touchscreen working with the control panel and decided to try to mount it on the wall. The instructions only described the physical part regarding the mount but did not discuss the wiring.

I assumed (crazy me) that since the device came with the wires that screwed onto the battery terminals for directly plugging into the wall outlet, that I would as an alternate be able to take those wires and connect them into the circuit wires inside the wall.

I created a pigtail so I could connect the wall wires to the touchscreen but I wound up frying the touchscreen when I turned the power on.

I did notice after the fact that the battery terminal said something like 100v which naturally is less than the 110 circuit in our home.

Bottom line is: how are we supposed to wall mount these units with the wires inside the wall if we are not supposed to connect them to the house power?

While I await some assistance, I'll be off ordering another touchscreen.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
You are supposed to use an AC adaptor to provide external power. It runs on 6VDC...

Old 03-13-13, 08:34 AM
If that's the case then why did the wires come separate from the adapter itself? The wires were collated plus and minus suggesting that you could separate them from the battery for another purpose. Also, if the adapter is required how do you get the wires inside the wall for mounting? Thanks.

Old 03-13-13, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The wires are seperate because the outlet for the AC adaptor can be some distance from the actual keypad location.

Fishing wires inside a wall is a standard skill that all alarm installers are expected to learn to do.

The instructions are unclear because they are written with the expectation that the work is being done by an installer that has basic electrical and/or electronics training, and some degree of familiarity with standard low voltage wiring practices, and an understanding of the technical nomenclature and practices. They are not written with laymen in mind.

Old 03-20-13, 09:07 AM
Ok. Thanks for the explanation.