Need switch to set off siren when only one door is opened.

Old 03-22-13, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need switch to set off siren when only one door is opened.

I have an out building that I want to put an alarm on the door if it is opened. I have a 30 watt siren in an enclosure but don't know how to wire door to set it off if opened. What kind of switch and power source could I use to complete the circuit when door is opened? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-13, 09:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 36 Posts
Honestly, any inexpensive 4 zone security system will do the trick, and will cost about as much as buying the individual relays and power supply parts to do what you want.

Old 03-22-13, 10:01 PM
Thanks MrRonFL. Since I know nothing about alarms, could you please suggest one or two 4 zone alarms for me to check out. Thanks again!

Old 03-22-13, 11:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I highly doubt one can be had for the $50 or less that it'll cost to build the simple circuit.

You need a DPDT relay, a 12V/3A power supply, a door contact switch, and an arm/disarm switch. That's about $25. If the switch will not be hidden, add a couple bucks to make it a keyswitch, if you want battery backup add another $15-20 for a small battery and cheapo charge controller.

Old 03-23-13, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 36 Posts
True, if you have the electrical/electronic fundamentals, you can cobble together the relays and make it work (I could do so out of the junk rattling around the back of my work vehicle); however something like a NX-4 kit can be had for less then $100; and will basically work right out of the box with minimal wiring and very little programming configuration: (Amazon.com: GE Security NX-4-KIT NX-4 Kit w/NX-108E Keypad and Transformer Kit Includes NX-4 Panel, NX-108E LED Keypad and 16.5VAC, 40VA Transformer: Camera & Photo). In addition it would have advantages like having a coded keypad, and every thing fits in one, fairly small, enclosure.

I go under the assumption that one's time has value, as well. If the challenge of putting the parts together is part of the project, then yes, building the circuit would be a bit of fun...