ADT SW300en w/blank screen

Old 03-29-13, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT SW300en w/blank screen

We moved in a house that had an ADT Safewatch 3000EN system. Previous owner passed away. No one knows the code. We just used it with out ADT monatering it for several months. Last week we had a power outage and the battery must have been week, power was out for about 5 hours. After power was restored the system now just has a blank screen. The key pad backlight is on but the key pad does not make any sounds. I tried using the installer codes and the # + * key at power up but nothing works. No screen but the key pad will beep for the first 5 key presses then nothing. If we reset the power again it will beep ofr 5 key presses again and go silent. Of course ADT wants a months pay to fix it (bahhh not going to happen). Is there any other way to rest the system or is it trashed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
This is a modified Vista 20p system (http://www.alarmeengros.com/installation15P.pdf) so that's the manuals you need to work on this.

For the typical system, 3-5 hours is about as long as you are going to last on battery power unless you have a larger than typical battery. What happened was that the system ran on less and less power until the firmware got a little corrupted.

That said, you need to fully power the system down, and try powering it back up with the right sequence. Connect the (fully charged) battery first, then reconnect the AC power. 90% of the time the system should come back up in normal operation mode. (no you will not lose any program settings)

If it doesn't, it's possible that the wiring between the keypad and the control board got damaged (that behavior is a symptom of bad/reversed connections on the keypad data wires).

It _could_ be that the operation on failing battery power actually did corrupt the system eeprom and/or firmware, but that would be very unusual.

Old 03-29-13, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you MrRonFl. I tried this but it didn't work, although while fiddling with the battery the system started beeping. Found a black wire hanging like it was supposed to be hooked up. Hum, touched it to the terminal and the system started to work. How ironic is this. Connected and everything started working. I know nobody has tinkered with it, the only explanation I can think of is it was barely connected or just touching and the power loss could have caused it to spark and come lose. Not sure, again thanks I have learned a lot reading other posts on this subject.