Updating smoke detectors.

Old 03-29-13, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Updating smoke detectors.

I have two First Alert/BRK smoke detectors in my house. Model #9120 Dual ionization, hard wired in the basement and on the first floor near kitchen (kind of centrally located on the first floor). These two are wired together and very loud. Then I have a Model # SA710 photo electric, battery powered on the second floor near the bedroom and right at the top of the stairs. I am using the battery powered here so that I do not have to run wires upstairs to the second floor.
I would like to update to the dual sensor photo electric/ ionization types. The model # P12010 Kidde hard wired and the Model P19000 (replaced with P19010 ?) battery powered. These are two that I were looking at and that were recommended by Kidde. I am reading bad reviews on the P19000/ P19010.
I am also a little hard of hearing and worry about whether the battery powered at the top of the stairs outside the bedrooms would wake me up. The hard wired ones I have now on the first floor and basement are very loud and would probably wake the neighborhood.
Can anyone give me any help with recommendations? Have you had any good experiences with any products?
Thank you,
TomS

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
The key with hardwired smoke alarms is that interconnect feature. If it's out of your budget to get that wiring harness extended down to the device(s) on the first floor, several of the manufacturers have models that have a wireless interconnect feature.

Again, if you can afford it, choose models with the photoelectric detection tech. A combo unit with photo/ion is even better.

The current recommended standard for smokes it to actually place one inside the sleeping rooms. Again, if it's in the budget put one not only at the top of the stairs, but also in the bedroom(s). That would help the audibility issue a lot.

No device is foolproof, but you can add enough layers to significantly bolster safety without breaking the bank.