How to remote monitor security system without paying a monthly service fee.

Old 04-05-13, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remote monitor security system without paying a monthly service fee.

Is there a way to monitor a security system remotely, without having to pay a security alarm company a monthly fee. I do not want to use the automatic phone dialers. I want to use my smart phone, Android to monitor my system myself and bypass the expensive monthly fees. I'm also thinking of doing this over the internet as we don't have cellular system.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
It's pretty easy to do if you have phone service and I assume it would also work VOIP. Many areas allow alarm systems to directly call emergency services without going through a manned service. Call your Police, Sheriff or 911 center on a business line (do not dial 911) and ask them for the numbers. Usually they have a list of phone numbers dedicated for alarm systems to call and play their pre-recorded message. No service required but it does require your system to have a dialer in order to make the call. Most dialers can call multiple numbers so it can call emergency services and your cell phone number.

Old 04-06-13, 08:52 AM
A camera system with a network capable DVR is also a great way to monitor your home security.
I have an older dialer set up. It just calls me and plays a pre-recorded message. I can then access the cameras from my phone, and see if there are any signs of intruders, or possibly smoke. Much more reliable than the sensors alone.

You also get the benefit of having video evidence in case something does happen before somebody can get there.

Old 04-10-13, 08:10 AM
Look at Envisalink EVL-3. It connects your alarm to your home network and the internet so you can get notifications of alarms or other events on your phone.
EnvisaLink 3 – Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn

If you want to buy it, I would go to the home security store since the have it for $99.
EVL-3 | Envisalink Internet Alert Module for DSC & Honeywell Security | Home Security Store