Suggestions on where to buy good residential cameras/DVR from? (greenie here)

Old 04-07-13, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on where to buy good residential cameras/DVR from? (greenie here)

Along with my new need to get an alarm after the break in, the wife (and I) want some good security cameras. We've been wanting these for reasons other than security so now is the time...

Problem is, I don't want the cheap stuff but don't have the $$$ for IP cameras - plus I'd be worried if I put too nice a camera out, they themselves might be stolen!

So here are my needs and can anyone please suggest a company (or site) I can go to which can help me find a solution?

Needs:
  • Non-proprietary wiring (siamese coax preferred)
  • DVR part of solution (do any offer off-site recording?)
  • Performs well at night as well as day
  • Options when it comes to lenses (wide-area vs normal, zoom)
  • Ideally, these are outdoor domed cameras - don't need domes per se but they look less threatening and I like that you can't easily tell where the camera is pointed

Any help as to who to call to get ideas of my options would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-13, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Oddly enough, I recently walked past a display at a Wal-Mart where they had a 4 camera Samsung DVR kit for about $300.00. The cameras were all weather resistant IR cameras. It's worth looking.

Old 04-07-13, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mr Ron

I'm sure it's a good deal but I don't mind investing 1k to 1.5k for a system that provides me some growth and options.

I'm looking at 5 cameras at the moment.

Any places that specialized in ranges and types of cameras and systems is a bit more of what I'm looking for.

Old 04-07-13, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Try these guys: Security Cameras | Video Security Camera System | CCTV Video Surveillance Systems

At least they have some good shopping and configuration tips.

Old 04-08-13, 01:35 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
MCM Electronics also has a wide range of security cameras and recorders. They run the gamut from very inexpensive to moderately expensive. I would suggest that you only look at cameras that have a vari-focus lens so that you may "fine tune" the image the camera outputs. This lens has is like a variable lens on a camera that can change from telephoto to wide angle.

I also suggest that the camera have a minimum of 500 lines TVL to ensure a usable picture quality. The more IR emitters on day/night cameras generally the better they "see" in the dark. Don't put a lot of stock into the ranges that are published, use these ranges only to discern the better ones from the less expensive models.

Categories within Cameras - MCM Electronics Product Categories

(I have no connection to MCM except as a satisfied customer for man years.)

Old 04-08-13, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't think (or know) about vari-focus lens so that helps to ask.

I did see some "HD" cameras offering 700 lines which I now know refers to TVL. Thanks for the advice, and yes...the one time I'll need to depend on my camera won't matter if the resolution isn't good enough to identify anything.

I'll check out MCM and Supercircuits.

Old 04-10-13, 07:56 AM
Since you are installing a new system, you might look into IP megapixel cameras. They can give you many benefits like higher resolution. A network camera system should fit within your budget, but analog is still the cheapest.

oh and the IP cameras use standard CAT5 network cable.

Last edited by blakem; 04-10-13 at 08:13 AM.