How much information is stored in a Honeywell ademco 6148 keypad?

Old 04-24-13, 03:33 PM
Chris Brown
Visiting Guest
How much information is stored in a Honeywell ademco 6148 keypad?

Parents purchased a house with alarm system installed. All is hard wired. Honeywell Vista20. Installed is 3 6148 keypads. One of the keypads number buttons are starting to malfunction. I was just going to swap the keypads (one is rarely used). But before I did parents had some alarm issues and called for repair (the system is monitored but the current security company is not the original installer or contract was with). My mother asked the repair person to go ahead and swap the keypads for her. He stated that was not possible, that she would have to purchase a new keypad (?!?!?).

Is this true? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hogwash. Vista keypads are basically interchangeable. The only exception is the RF model keypads that are also the wireless receiver; which must be replaced with a wireless receiver model.

All of the programming data resides in the system main board; the keypads are just an interface.

That said, while the swap would work, if all of the keypads are of similar age, then they are all on borrowed time...so a replacement really is the better course of action...

Old 04-25-13, 10:23 AM
Chris Brown
Visiting Guest
Thanks!! That is what I thought! Now, if I do go ahead and change out all three keypads with new ones, would I only have to address them? And second, if I do just the swap, do I have to change the address on the swaps?

Old 04-25-13, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Depends on the system model. What's the suffix after the Vista 20? A "SE" sets up the keypads differently than "P".