Ademco Vista P20/ADT Safewatch 3000 lockout of some programming registers?

Old 04-24-13, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ademco Vista P20/ADT Safewatch 3000 lockout of some programming registers?

Hi All,

Switched to a VOIP home phone not compatible with ADT and now I am switching to an internet monitored service. Purchased an ABN module from NextAlarm to accomplish this. System is Ademco Vista P20/ADT Safewatch 3000.

The installer code on my system is the standard 6321 and most of the programming has gone fine. However, the keypad seems to be "locking out" the *48 programming field. In programming mode, when I hit *48 I get "NOT USED EE"... It will not accept a change to report format 7 (4-digit ContactID).

I called ADT thinking that because my home won't work with cellular (no signal) or telephone, they might be kind after my many years of patronage and tell me how to change the report format. Instead they were obnoxiously rude and condescending. The tool I spoke with cackled that this was a purposeful lock-out, although she sounded like her main intellectual accomplishment was in the nose-picking arena.

Sooo... Can I get some advice on next step? Would trying to re-program the alarm help or is this a hard coded lockout?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
That's actually one of the minor changes ADT has done to the firmware on the SW 3000 versions of the Vista 20p. The report format is locked to contact ID in the firmware. There's no programming override.

Old 04-24-13, 05:54 PM
Also - is it possible for them to "lock out" individual programming fields? I thought being "locked out" meant you couldn't get to programming at all. I can definitely get into programming mode.

Also the system is not reachable by them from telephone or cellular... The ADT technician did come out last week to try and see if they could get the system working with my VOIP but clearly did not lock me out of programming mode.

One other thing I should mention... in the course of tinkering with this and thinking that there was an alarm to ABN problem, I did bypass the RJ-31X jack... In my situation, the ABN acts like the "phone company" and there is no phone system to "take control of," so I just hooked the red and green wires from the board into their corresponding red and green wires for the ABN. I didn't see how the gray and brown wires are necessary although maybe I should just short them to the red and green, respectively.

Old 04-24-13, 05:57 PM
If it's 4-digit Contact ID then it should be working. That is the format I need.

Thus is it the 10 digit Contact ID that ADT uses?

The NextAlarm technician on the phone was very helpful, he said he could see the ANB and see the alarm "dialing" out to them, just couldn't communicate.

Old 04-24-13, 06:42 PM
Your panel is sending 4 digit contact ID. Who by chance is your VOIP provider and what codec is your ATA provisioned for?

Old 04-24-13, 07:09 PM
Thanks kcxj.

The VOIP provider is Google Voice (free! ) Ported my landline over to cut my home phone cost to 0.

I get that compression and codec issue might matter if I were connecting my alarm to the voip system at all... that was the problem with ADT.

However, the ABN from NextAlarm is supposed to obviate that issue because you do not connect the alarm to your phones or voip arrangement. The ABN is a stand-alone device which generates a dial tone solely for the alarm and accepts dial codes and the 4-digit contact ID data generated by the alarm. It then communicates this over the internet to the NextAlarm monitoring service - the ABN is hooked directly into my network switch/router.

https://nextalarm.com/abn.jsp

Thus the ABN cuts the phones/voip out of the connection, so the voip codecs should not matter.

Vista 20p ------ ABN ----- Switch ---- Router ---- Cable Modem ----//---- NextAlarm

The NextAlarm technician speculated that maybe the Safewatch Pro 3000 was set to something other than 4-digit contact ID and that's why the alarm panel was having trouble communicating with the ABN. But if that is the default, then it sounds like something else is the issue and I should call them back tomorrow.

I can see the ABN on my network and log into it... it is using dhcp correctly and can be "seen" from the NextAlarm side.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the responses. I will check back and post up how things proceed for others once we make some progress.

Cheers,
Walt

Old 04-25-13, 06:29 PM
Google voice is not exactly VOIP and the free service does not have the quality to support alarm or data transmission. Regarding the ABN adapter, lets start with some basics:

Do you have an account number and receiver number programmed? Have you verified the panel is dialing out with a butt set? Have you checked that the adapter is registered? Have you performed a port scan to see if port 5065 is open on your network? You may need to do some port forwarding to allow the communication to go through.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-13, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I do have the primary and secondary phone numbers (registers *41 and *42) programmed as well as the primary account number (register *43).

Unfortunately, I don't own a butt set although I may be able to verify the callout with a line splitter and just using a telephone handset. The NextAlarm tech did indicate that the "call" seemed to be connecting, but alarm data was not flowing through.

I did not know that port 5065 was the correct port for the ABN as nothing in the documentation I was able to find indicated this. However, I can assign the ABN a static IP on my network and port forward to it if that is the communication port it uses.

The NextAlarm tech did have me turn off the "SIP" toggle on the Application Level Gateway config of my D-Link DIR-655 router, which allowed the ABN to be seen by NextAlarm (and yes it is registered). NextAlarm sees the adapter online but alarm events are not being reported.

I will try the port forwarding and report back.

Old 04-26-13, 11:07 AM
Ah, I see the reference to port 5065 online now. Forwarding udp to that port, fingers crossed....

Old 05-09-13, 06:14 PM
So, port forwarding didn't help, and even putting the ABN into a DNZ didn't work.

I had re-wired this thing multiple different times and used every crazy connection trick I could think of. NextAlarm could see the ABN over the broadband connection but said that it didn't seem to be communicating data from the alarm panel. The ABN was a black box to me, one that wasn't working.

Finally one of the NextAlarm techs recognized that somehow my account was set for "satellite" mode rather than direct internet connection mode. This is not easy for them to just change, so I created a new account, which fixed the problem instantly.

When you go to buy an ABN, NextAlarm gives you a list of a few vendors you can buy from. I just picked one at random from the top of the list, Hughes Net. I had never heard of them before, but apparently because I bought through Hughes Net, NextAlarm assumes I was a Hughes Net satellite internet customer and set up the account automatically to correspond to that profile (although I told one of their techs earlier that I was not a satellite customer). This does not show in any account setting that was made visible to the customer. Hence my 20 hours of frustration thinking that I should give back my engineering degree because apparently I was not capable of wiring simple connections.

Well, I hope this helps someone else who stumbles into the same problem.