433 MHz Transmitter and Receiver

Old 05-03-13, 07:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
433 MHz Transmitter and Receiver

I currently have a Heddolf ER-294-1K (10 dip switch setting)long range receiver and EX220-1K (10 dip switch setting) long range transmitter functioning @ 433 MHz which works great. I am looking for a smaller transmitter (key chain size) for my wife when she rides (horses) that will function on that frequency. Somewhere I hear you can somehow modify a 300 MHz to work, it would be short range only (which is what I want for her). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Heddolf does not manufacture one but states one of their distributors has modified their M-219 (10 dip switch) unit to work, but it voids the warranty.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 05-03-13, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The problem is that 433mhz is more common outside the US, and most North American low power RF devices are in the 310mhz range, so you have a limited parts pool to draw from.

There are some units out there that might be able to learn your receiver's coding: 433mhz remote - Google Search

You will probably have to kiss a lot of frogs to find one that will work...

Old 05-03-13, 06:00 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I don't know what you want it for but there are literally hundreds of 433 MHz remote controls available on Ebay from China. Single and multiple channels, transmitters only, receivers only and pairs. Cost runs from around $8 to $40 and usually free shipping. Some have listed ranges as much as 3000 meters but that is probably only line-of-sight over flat terrain.

Old 05-03-13, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It isn't so much that it's on the same frequency..... it's the coding that's the problem.

Did you try H/K directly ?

Old 05-04-13, 07:08 AM
B
Heddolf & Keystone

Thank you for your responses, but I guess I must ellaborate on the issue. It is Heddolf's receiver and their EX220-1K transmitters (both of which utilize a 10 dip switch setting) which function @ 433Mhz. Everything functions perfectly even at over 400ft from front gate to inside the house with metal roof and 6" walls. The issue was to try and find a transmitter which was a lot smaller so my wife can carry it with her on the horse when exiting the gate instead of the larger one which Heddolf sells. They do not sell a smaller version, even if I only want it to function @ 20 to 30 feet from the gate. They told me someone modified their M219 keychain model @ 300Mhz to work but stated it voided the warranty.

I hope this helps explain the issue more in depth.

Bob

Old 05-04-13, 07:12 AM
B
Yes, Heddolf Keystone does not sell a smaller transmitter. The coding is an issue because it uses the 10 dip switches to match.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 05-04-13, 07:15 AM
B
I have been kissing frogs, out here there appears to be more horny toads than frogs. It appears to be a tough issue, but somewhere and somehow I will get something to work. It is all about persistence.

Old 05-04-13, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
The problem as I mentioned earlier is that no matter what you use or by whatever company is that the security coding scheme MUST match. Therefore you are required to use an H & K product. The 219 uses the same coding and is on a different frequency. You would need to open the 219 up and look for an adjustable coil or an adjustment near the crystal. 100mghz. of shift is an awful lot for a circuit and may actually require parts changing.

This remote control operates a gate.
I'm assuming that the H/K receiver runs off the gate power and that it is 12 vdc. I would purchase a second remote control system to work in addition to the H/K. They are available from electronics companies online. A receiver with a keychain fob or two should be available for a small price. Well under 50.00. If interested I could point out a system for you.

Old 05-04-13, 11:54 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I STILL do not know what this remote unit operates. If it is a gate opener then replacing the receiver with a new set of transmitters and receiver is a viable option. If it is arming/disarming an alarm system then it may still be able to parallel the arm/disarm signal with the new units or replace the wireless panel if its only purpose is to arm/disarm the system.

Honestly, if it is that difficult to find something compatible with the existing system going to a different system makes sense to me. If you want a "rolling code" device you can find them for about $30 to $40 dollars.

Old 05-04-13, 12:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
This unit is typically used for gate and garage doors. Given that horse riding has been mentioned, I'm guessing it's a gate.

Even though the original poster appears to like the device he owns, since it doesn't have the features that he actually wants, it may be cheaper/smarter to get one of the 310mhz units made by the same maker that also has the keyfob option available.

The other option is to simply get a standalone receiver like one of the Linear DX units, and wire it's contacts in parallel with the Heddolf for the use of the horse rider(s).

Old 05-05-13, 05:45 AM
B
Thank you all again for your response, and yes it operates the front gate to the property. I hadn't thought of wiring in a second unit with the Heddolf unit which would be a viable option for her. The purpose of utilizing the Heddolf unit is that it functions 1500' away and actually works very well, and I have no complaints, well worth the monies. I will get with Heddolf and find another unit which can be wired in parallel.Keeping the Woman happy keeps everyone happy.
Thank you again,

Bob

Old 05-05-13, 05:49 AM
B
Yes, I would be interested in pointing me in the correct direction to purchase a compatible unit online. {email address deleted by moderator per forum policy)

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by MrRonFL; 05-05-13 at 09:17 AM. Reason: removal of email address in forum per forum policy
Old 05-05-13, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
The Multicode receiver from Linear

The Multicode transmitter from Linear

Radio Control - MultiCode product page

I illustrated MultiCode products. You could also use the MegaCode line.

Old 05-05-13, 09:13 AM
B
Thanks for the info. Sorry about the email address. I don't have the ability to remove it. If you can or delete the post I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: