Moose Z800RE

Old 05-21-13, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moose Z800RE

Experts - I am having some issues with my Moose Z800RE alarm system...

The keypad started beeping and eventually the keypad went dead. Perhaps the power supply to the keypad has been interrupted. The existing transformer is 16.5VAC/35VA min. and I bought a replacement 16.5 VAC/40VA. I tried with the new power supply but it didnt power up the keybad.

Can someone please help me figure this out? I can feel the "humming" from both the transformers when plugged in but nothing comes up at the keypad. Is it something else wrong here?

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You changed the transformer. Most of the transformers have a fuse in them so that if there was a short in your system....the brand new transformer may have been knocked out. If you have a voltmeter..... check for the proper voltage. The fuse is in the secondary of the transformer so if it was blown the transformer would still hum.

Also....your system should have a battery in it. That needs to be checked.

Old 05-21-13, 08:43 PM
Thanks, PJmax, for the prompt response. Its kind of embarassing but I dont have a volt meter to check the voltage. Is their anything else which can be done ?

The battery is hooked up but as everything went dead...wont the battery be dead by now?

Old 05-21-13, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....the battery is probably dead now.

Do you have any kind of 12 volt automotive bulb ? The supply voltage is a little higher but a few seconds won't hurt the bulb. Use the bulb as a test light.

Old 05-21-13, 08:53 PM
Thank you. I will try that. However, if there was a short in the system, what is the fix for it?

Old 05-21-13, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
For that you'll need a meter. A basic meter from the shack or big orange. Nothing fancy. Maybe 15-20 bucks.

Old 05-21-13, 09:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
First, you need the manual: http://www.diyalarmforum.com/Downloa.../z800-inst.pdf

These units are pretty old, at this point, Moose hasn't been an manufactured brand since around 1987-1990, so it's not unlikely that something in the mainboard has simply failed. You may have finally hit the point of no return for this system.