SL150 keypad does not respond to input

Old 05-23-13, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SL150 keypad does not respond to input

I moved to a house that has a SL150 Security System. It seems to be working, (shows faults and chimes) but does not respond to commands. Screen shows "comm failure", "chime on", "system ready". I just want to use it local, but it does not even respond when I try to turn off chime. I punch the four digit code, then the chime button but nothing happens. Is this a simple fix, or should I just unplug it? I've gone through the manual, but have not had any luck. Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-13, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
The SL 150 is a modified Vista 20se.

If you are hearing beeps when you press the keys, then all you need to do is extract the installer code and use that to set a new master user code:

Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99
Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2U9UiNaj4

Then exit programming so you make a new user code: [installer code] + 8 + 02 + [new master code]. This needs to be done in a smooth entry. If you hesitate more than a couple of seconds between keystrokes, the new code won't take.