Simple Remote Webcam Monitoring Via Mobile/Web?

Old 06-06-13, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Simple Remote Webcam Monitoring Via Mobile/Web?

I came across an app on my tablet that allows you to view live feed from cameras as long as you have their ip address and possibly other info and it seems to work. Made me curious if there was some way I could set my webcam up to view its feed from my tablet with this app while I'm out?

No need to record, just interested in seeing if I can get this to work since these are items I already happen to have. My only concern would be keeping my computer on the entire time I'm out at work but I don't know if there's any kind of cheap standalone self-powered setup for a camera where I could hook it up directly to my router or otherwise have it be like a wireless cam since my wifi is always on at home?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-13, 09:27 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
There might be software you can run on the computer that would allow this.
I have been looking into something similar as I lost my network camera in our flood a few months ago (had a very sweet high end camera).
A lot of the consumer base cameras require either software to be run on a computer, or connection to their server (d-link I believe has this).

A network based camera might be the way to go if you don't want to leave your computer running all day.

Old 06-06-13, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 208 Posts
I would say it depends. I know for me it has changed several times over the years. The hardware and software are easy. It's the Internet access in between that can be an issue. Internet providers early on allowed upstreaming of video 24/7 which made remote monitoring your video cameras easy but many put blocks in place because of the bandwidth it consumed. Then software came out that would periodically send pictures from your video system as E-mails to get around providers blocks. I have also seen fee based services that do similar.

Old 06-06-13, 09:32 AM
Yeah just how Mike was saying D-link and pretty much any other major router company has a line of "network cameras." This is your solution, just remember when it comes to electronics you definitely get what you pay for.. Cheap camera > Cheap picture

I hope this helps, best of luck to you.. Let us know how it goes!

Old 06-06-13, 10:50 AM
I'm now in the market for a new network camera. I really liked my high end axis camera as it worked great for dumping a photo (via ftp) to my web server every 15 seconds.
Wasn't for security really. I had it setup looking outside at the driveway near the road. It gave me a view of what the weather was like at the house and if I was going to be able to get into my driveway during or after a snow fall.
I'm now looking into DVR systems with similar functions. Hope I can find one that won't break the bank and still offer the ability to monitor/view the driveway, and machanical room while away from home.

Old 06-06-13, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
I think the key these days is to use software to periodically send photos as opposed to streaming video 24/7.

Old 06-06-13, 12:48 PM
Fantastic feedback everyone, thank you so much! I'll look into the network cameras and I hadn't even considered getting "snapshots" instead of continuous streaming. I'll look into it and let you all know what I come up with!

Old 06-06-13, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
And, much like putting photos on the web they have to go "somewhere" when you upload them. There are services that will, for a fee, receive and store your videos/photos so you have an address where you can point your browser to retrieve them and many offer apps for your smart phone. Shop around! There is great variability in pricing. Some site's pricing is based on the number of cameras, resolution, frame rate and how long they retain your photos/video.

Old 06-07-13, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I set up a video camera on bird nests around my yard and because of my poor internet service was only able to upload one small JPEG every 15 seconds or so.
I wanted live feed and have very good success using Ustream.

It is free and not private but the location of your stream can be unlisted and the site they provide can have no identifying info.
The catch to this service is that you have to watch a 15 second commercial before viewing the stream but is a small price to pay as it works quite well.
(GMC trucks were sponsoring the ads last time I had a live feed.)

Rather than use their viewer I use Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder and embed the stream on my own webpage.
This is flash video similar to YouTube and takes very little bandwidth.

Old 06-07-13, 06:42 AM
Received 27 Votes on 22 Posts
Get an old android phone, (easy)
install a camera to webcam app (e.g. ipwebcam), (easy)
setup port forwarding on the router to allow video (harder).

Other option for snapshots -try saving the most recent frame as a .jpg
to a google drive or dropbox account. Would need some way to
make sure it's the same file name, so that it overwrites the image as it updates.

Old 06-07-13, 07:12 AM
Get an old android phone, (easy)
install a camera to webcam app (e.g. ipwebcam), (easy)
setup port forwarding on the router to allow video (harder).

Other option for snapshots -try saving the most recent frame as a .jpg
to a google drive or dropbox account. Would need some way to
make sure it's the same file name, so that it overwrites the image as it updates.
This is the route I went with while using a simple upload to FTP option.
Had web page on my wife's web server that would simply display the image (very simple). Just refresh it when I wanted an update and the new image loaded.

Old 06-07-13, 07:31 AM
One other idea -

Since you're going to have to power the webcam anyway,

You might consider an ethernet over power line adapter.

Feeds your home network over the copper in the power line.
Used 1-5-10 mbps units come up for sale frequently, that should give enough bandwith for a camera, and allow a camera in an area even if it's poor wifi reception.

Might even mount the webcam in tandem with an existing motion detector light,
use ethernet over power line to send the feed to the router.

Old 06-08-13, 08:50 AM
Old digital camera makes a good webcam

Should also mention -

Any old digital camera with video output and power input makes a DIY webcam with RCA video out.

If you've got a desktop computer has a tv tuner card, it probably takes rca video.
If you've got a tv or tuner card with an analog tuner, a RCA to channel-3/4 converter lets you view the camera output on channel 3/4