vista 20 not dialing out

Old 06-15-13, 02:53 PM
vista 20 not dialing out

I am reprogramming an Ademco Vista 20 (not a P or SE). I have not defaulted the control.
I have programmed in the phone number, format (7-contact id), account code (0123), placed 10 in the first pair of boxes in the *56 zone programming section for each zone.

Problem: when the system is tripped (Keypad * + #), hard wire zone panic (type 06) or a burg zone, the system does not send a signal. With a telco handset placed on the brown/gray telco pair I get dial tone immediate after tripping the panics (no delay). This means no line seizure. Telco handset on red/green gives me dial tone (no attempt to dial). Of course no signal or call at the CS.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-13, 04:11 PM
Is your phone line VOIP???

Old 06-15-13, 04:16 PM
No. It is a standard loop start land line. The panel responds to the input, that is, when I make the panic audible, activating a panic input sounds the siren and indicates on the k/p, but no line seizure.

Old 06-15-13, 04:41 PM
Are you sure dial tone is coming in on red and green? -- You may have a bad dialer.

Can you default panel and reprogram [it helps to start from a known position].

EDIT: Make sure fields 29, 54 and 55 are not set up for GSM -- Check field 50.

Last edited by tpring; 06-15-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 01:20 AM
vista 20 not dialing out

Make sure fields 29, 54 and 55 are not set up for GSM -- Check field 50.

I have a manual dated November, 1995. The memory map (pages 85-95) does not show locations 54 and 55. Location 50 is for 15 sec dial delay on burg., which I set to zero. Location 29 is for long range radio. It is programmed to zero. This is where I am concerned. This model seems to have had multiple versions with conflicting memory locations. (I am a CADDX/GE/UTC guy).

funnygal

Old 06-16-13, 09:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, there are multiple generations of the Vista 20 series, and you have to use the correct manual, because each of them programs differently. The bad news with the original Vista 20 is that there's no form of "pager" programming that would allow you to call a mobile or landline phone without ending up with a failure to communicate trouble.

For a first generation Vista 20 manual and programming form: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...tion/v20ii.pdf
http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...ming/v20pf.pdf

On all alarm phone connections: the Red/Green pair is the incoming phone line and Brown/Grey (the most common RJ31x color combo) is the pair that returns the dial tone to the rest of the house. If line seizure is wired correctly, the dial tone on the brown/grey will get cut off while the dialer is operating. (this prevents interrupting alarm dial out by simply taking a phone off-hook)

Has this system ever been programmed to dial out, before? If not one problem may be that none of the zones have been given report codes. Only zones and troubles with report codes set to some non-zero value will activate the dialer.

Remember, like all Vista models, you have to have a full-alpha keypad to access zone programming...

Old 06-17-13, 12:55 PM
vista 20 not dialing out

Your first link, 20ii, is the manual that I have (11/95). I am attempting to talk to an FBI CP-220FB. I watch the brown/grey because if the dpdt line seizure relay seized, there would be no dt on them. Then either I would get a 'no trans' or a valid signal. This system was sending signals from a prior co. something went wrong with them/sub-I don't know, but when i went in , there were no pri/sec phone numbers, so they deleted theirs (makes sense) but I don't know if anything else was changed.

Someone mentioned something about radio signalling. If that were 'on', it might try it first, but after a failure, you would think it would send a land line signal. None has been received. I was surprised to find addresses in the 32 range to be one off from the manual (I assume the kp text describing the address is coming the control, not stored in the kp).

fg

Old 06-17-13, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is a relatively simple control (though it was considered advanced for it's time).

By your description, you have all of the programming correctly set. This thing may have had the dialer turned off because the dialer itself was bad.