WLS925L-433 Questions

Old 06-22-13, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WLS925L-433 Questions

I have been getting intermittent tamper faults on my DSC lcd5501z32-433 Keypad - "PC-5132 Tamper" that quickly restores itself but never gives any additional information. I decided to test each wireless window/door contact and found some issues.

1) While 1 wireless window and 1 wireless door contact were not registering Zone open/close at the Keypad (all other wireless zones worked), when I took off the cover it did register a tamper on that Zone. Does this mean I need to replace the contact or is there some sort of reset process given that it is still partially working?

2) While all of the batteries are original (10 years) they all still test strong on a battery tester. Should I just replace all of them anyway given the age?

3) I tried to "000000" out the 2 bad wireless contacts, but I got that intermittent "PC-5132 Tamper" message again. Do I need to remove the 1xx wireless Zone attribute as well?

Just trying to figure out how to repair/replace the components to get rid of the faults.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-13, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Do you have the "RF jam detect" feature turned on? If so, turn it off. It's one of those things that seems like a good idea, but it was designed in a time before the proliferation of low power radio devices that clutter the RF spectrum in the typical home, now.

Quite bluntly, anyone who knows enough about security wireless to try to deliberately jam the transmitters isn't going to be stopped by a residential grade security system.

Also check your keypad's mounting plate. Some versions of the RF model keypads have tamper switches on the baseplate.

If your batteries are in the 10 year range, they are probably getting to the edge of their lifespan; but you should get a zone low battery before you get a tamper.

Old 06-27-13, 07:06 PM
Thanks Ron.

Well I checked section 93 for the Jam Detect Zone and it was empty and none of the 32 Zones had a serial number of 200000. So I think it is safe to say it was not enabled.

I also checked section 016 and option 8 was off, so the Keypad Tamper was also disabled.

I'm still getting the General System Tamper error and reset - "PC-5132 Tamper", so I went ahead and disabled the supervision for the removed wireless Zones in section 8x. Not sure if this needed given I already deleted the wireless device in section 804 and turned off the wireless zone attribute in section 1xx. Hopefully the supervision was the missing link.

One last question, when the wireless window contacts start to fail, is this typical behavior that they exhibit? Only partially working like I described in my original message? Is there a typical life-span on these wireless contacts?

Thanks,

Old 06-27-13, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Practically speaking, these wireless devices should last for decades, given the basic maintenance of timely battery changes. Being the real world, a small percentage can and do fail with little to no warning. With a heavily used door/window, the little reed switch inside these things can start to stick and not open when the magnet is moved out of range.

Old 06-29-13, 07:27 PM
No luck after turning off supervision either. Still getting the "PC-5132 Tamper" fault. Is it possible that the Keypad itself has gone bad? Any other possibilities? Not sure if I should just try a hard reset of the keypad and built in wireless 5132. I will lose all of the wireless serial numbers, but if I add them back one at a time, I may be able to isolate another problem. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Old 06-29-13, 10:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's worth a shot. There's really only so many settings that can affect this behavior.

Old 06-30-13, 06:21 PM
I finished the reset to defaults on the DSC lcd5501z32-433 Keypad hoping that by clearing out Section 804 and any other subsections in the PC5132, it would clear the trouble. I confirmed that the PC5132 was removed by going into section 903 and seeing just the Keypad (1) and the PC5400 (20) was being supervised. The PC5400 is really the EVL-3 - Envisalink that I just added (great help by the way for viewing DSC events).

Well it did not work, but thankfully gave new pieces of information when the trouble light went off. After the reset, the tamper gave the following additional information:

"Trouble [1] - Service Required" - "Light [4] - General System Tamper. This trouble will be indicated if a Tamper Zone violation on any module is detected". In my case it is "PC-5132 Tamper" fault followed by a Swinger Shutdown on Partition 1.

Before I added back the wireless modules, I noticed something interesting. I have been using the CE2Y Code Encryptor II for my Keyfob and garage door relay since installation. After the reset and removal of the PC5132 supervision, the CE2Y could arm the system, but it could not disarm the system. I tried both Keyfobs, but they could not disarm it. I then went and added one wireless module so that the supervision would be restored over the PC5132. When I did that the CE2Y was able to arm and disarm as it has been doing for the past 10 years.

This got me to thinking though, if the CE2Y and the PC5132 are sharing the same supervisory section, could that be the cause of this fault. While the CE2Y is functioning flawlessly, there may be something that is crossing between the 2 modules.

I know from a quick search of the forum that many other are using the Code Encrypter product. So I would like to pose the question: Has anyone run across this in the past?

Thanks,

Old 07-01-13, 02:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just to make sure I'm following your description correctly; do you have an just a RF receiver keypad, or do you have the RF receiver keypad _and_ a PC5132 wireless receiver?

If you have both, then your problem may be that you have two wireless receivers trying to coexist in the same system (there's another DSC module that would allow this to work)

Old 07-01-13, 07:13 AM
Ron,

No the only wireless module I have is the RF receiver keypad. When the trouble fault happens the error is "PC-5132 Tamper" which is why I put it in quotes. The PC5132 is part of the DSC lcd5501z32-433 Keypad and occupies section 17 along with the CE2Y. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-01-13, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just double checking. What is the base system this is attached to? Basically you have gone through all of the basic things to check. This may simply be a device that is failing, and this is the first sign. At it's newest, this is a 10-12 year old piece of hardware...

Manual: http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7478w433_install.pdf

Old 07-01-13, 09:29 AM
Ron, this is the PowerSeries 832 PC5010 that we discussed in another thread. At the time I thought the best path was to upgrade to the 1832 to get the newer functionality like Daylight Savings Time and Night arming. When I researched all the options, I found that by adding the EVL-3 - Envisalink module to the existing system, it was a better option.

What I'm realizing now is that my system is just reaching EOL and I need to bite the bullet and upgrade. While I thought the system would last much longer, with multiple failure of wireless sensors and now the Keypad, I'm going to bite the bullet and upgrade to the 1832 and the RFK500 keypad.

I guess the good news is I should have a huge jumpstart on how to program the new system. I'll have to figure out a replacement strategy for the CE2Y, as it looks like there is a new version that works with the 1832 panel.

Thanks again for all your help,

Old 07-01-13, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Honestly, if you are going to put in a new system with DSC wireless, go with just the native DSC wireless devices. The Code Encryptor stuff is ok if you don't already have wireless, but it's a bit of a kludge, and not really any better than the DSC wireless products. The only truly unique component is the status LED thing.

Old 07-01-13, 03:16 PM
go with just the native DSC wireless devices
I have gone back and forth on that. The Code Encryptor gives you several benefits over the DSC Keyfobs: It includes functionality for Keyfob, Garage Relay, LED status and X10 interface. To do this with the DSC wireless, I would have to buy several components to replicate this functionality. On a dollar for dollar basis, it is less costly for the Code Encryptor with minimal hook-up and programming. That is why I originally went with the CE2Y.

Now with the EVL-3 installed, I have the automation interface, so that can be discounted. But then I have to weigh the fact that I still need to wire up and program a garage relay and then feel comfortable with the EYEZ-ON mobile app for the alarm status instead of the LED. The CE just bundles up everything nicely for you.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know how the upgrade goes.

Z

Old 07-01-13, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you already have a lot of hardware invested in Code Encryptor; carry on...