Solar/Battery Powered Outdoor Siren/Strobe

Old 06-25-13, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar/Battery Powered Outdoor Siren/Strobe

I would like to put an outdoor alarm siren/strobe on the outside of house. My house is all brick so I want to avoid running wires, would be very hard to get the wires outside. I would like it to be wireless and hopefully solar powered. My system is a Vista 20P. Is this available? Is there any other ways to trigger an alarm outside wireless?

Thanks
Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 312 Posts
I've never seen any thing solar and wireless available out of the box to do what you want.

The thing with alarm components is that when the system is setup properly everything is supervised. With what you are proposing it would extremely costly to have a two way link to control an alarm siren. If you didn't monitor the outdoor siren system you would have no idea if it was working.

Brick doesn't necessarily mean you can't get wiring outside. You use a 1/4" masonry bit and drill the seam in between the bricks.

Old 06-25-13, 07:08 PM
Thanks, I've got the bits and the hammer drill it's just all the walls on the inside are finished and insulated. Would be difficult to get the wires outside.

Old 06-25-13, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 312 Posts
You may have to punch thru from the attic if accessible.

Old 06-26-13, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
There are outdoor battery powered sirens & strobes powered by lithium batteries that can go years on standby and alarm for hours before the battery dies. They send a low battery signal to the control panel when the battery is low to let you know when it's time for a change so you only need to get out the ladder when it's absolutely necessary. I use them in Central America where the houses are solid concrete and they have no problem communicating wirelessly through the thick walls.

Old 06-26-13, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
As far as I know, the only such available in the US market is the Visonic MCS-730 which is designed to work with the Powermax security system. There's really nothing like that that could be retrofit to a Vista 20p.

While I understand that people want to move to wireless everything; the alarm industry innovates at a pretty glacial pace.

Old 06-26-13, 04:02 PM
I think PJ mentioned are the biggest problem with this idea, lack of supervision of the siren unit. It could die the day after you install it and you would have no way of knowing it wasn't working. Then when it was actually needed it wouldn't work. That combined with the problem of getting to where it is to change the battery is probably one of the biggest reasons no such device is available for most system.