Simon Xti Programming and sensor adds

Old 07-03-13, 10:47 PM
Simon Xti Programming and sensor adds

Hello all. I am new to the self install home security but did get some information that the GE Simon XTi was a good system to install and easy to setup. SO, I have the control panel installed and ordered some wireless sensors including some NX-650 wireless door sensors, some PIR motion detectors, some Wireless smoke detectors and some wireless recessed door sensors (EV-DWR319). Ok the smoke detectors and motion sensors were a breeze to get working. I am however having issues with getting the door/window sensors working, I get a error-sn exists error and can only get them recognized by tripping the tamper switch. The recessed door sensors I cannot get recognized at all. Has anyone used these models with the XTi and how do I get these working? Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Opening the cover and tripping the tamper switch is how the NX-650 (and other similar interlogix models) transmit the serial number.

Could you be trying to enroll multiple transmitters to the same zone number? If so, remember, with wireless, each device is a separate zone.

Those EV-DWR319 transmitters were designed to work with the DWR-REC3 receiver. They aren't compatible with the standard Simon/Concord/NX wireless receiver (even though people sell them on ebay as "GE"). As far as I know, they are actually a discontinued device.

If you want a GE compatible recessed transmitter of this type you want the ION Micra-G.

Old 07-04-13, 10:55 AM
Wireless Sensors

Hi MrRonFL,

Thanks for the fast response. I rechecked to make sure that I am adding each sensor to an individual zone and the error seems to indicate that I needed to activate the tamper switch again to finally register the sensor? They are working as expected now. As far as the recessed senor I need them to be inside of doors. Do you recommend the ION Plunger-G? And do you recommend the nx-450 sensors? I need some VERY slimline sensor for windows that only have about a 1/2 inch frame to connect the sensor base to.

Old 07-04-13, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not a big fan of plunger switch contacts of any type. They collect crud, and sooner or later the moving parts start to stick. Given a choice, I'll use the magnet switches like the Micra-G.

The NX 450 works just fine. You have to change the batteries more often since they use alkaline.

The other alternative, that requires a bit more work, is to wire a standard hardwire contact to the NX-650 hardwire input and tuck the transmitter to the inside of the window area.

Old 07-05-13, 12:12 PM
Thanks Again.

Ok silly me I hadn't considered wiring hard wired contacts to the transmitter. I do already have 2 windows that already have 2 old wired contacts. I am assuming it is just a matter of connecting the correct wire to the internal contact terminals in the NX650? Also, for the other windows and doors that do not have the wired contacts, do I need any special wired contacts to work with the NX650?

Also thanks again for the help.

Old 07-05-13, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any standard NC contact will work just fine. You will have to set the programming of the transmitter to look for the HW input, of course.

Old 07-08-13, 07:29 AM
Resistors

I plan to use the DW-650 in conjuction with already installed wired NC windows contacts. In the instruction it says that I need to install a 4.7k EOL resistor. Do I need to look for anything special other than the 4.7k and where do I install them inline AND most importantly is this and WHY is this necessary?

Old 07-08-13, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's necessary because the engineers who designed it decided that the hardwired input would be resistor supervised (previous models weren't).

It simply needs to be in series with the external contact. It doesn't matter where in the circuit. The ideal is closest to the contact itself. The resistor should come with the transmitter.

Old 07-21-13, 05:59 PM
EOL Resistor

Unfortunately the transmitters did not come with the EOL resistors. I have seem 4700 Ohm 1/4 watt 2% and 5% resistors in local electronic stores. Are these what I need? If not, does anyone know where I might find these? I need about 7.

Old 07-21-13, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, those will work just fine. It's not a sophisticated circuit. It just expects that resistance value +/- 10%.

Old 07-22-13, 07:44 AM
Instant Notifcation

MrRonfla,

Thanks again for all your fast and informative responses. I have a few more questions about the XTi and associated sensors. Can I set individual sensors to instantly sound the alarm when tripped and others to have a delay? I know this is possible with the doors but can other sensors like the motions and window sensors be configured the same way? And if so what do I need to do? Also, what the the difference between a shock sensor and a glass break sensor? If I have a door with a large windows will a shock sensor cover if the door is kicked in OR the glass is broken? Or would an individual entry sensor and a glass break sensor be the better solution?

Old 07-22-13, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You select the behavior of a zone/contact when you select the "sensor group" (aka "Zone Type") for the device.

A shock sensor attaches to the glass and reacts to the physical impact and only protects the expanse of glass it's attached to. A glass break is essentially a tuned microphone that listens for the sound patters associated with glass breaking. Because it uses sound, a glass break can cover an 15-20 foot expanse of windows.

Old 07-22-13, 02:18 PM
Shock Sensor

ok. The ones I purchased, the GE 60-886-95 Crystal Wireless Shock Sensor say mount to the door frame in the instructions. AND they seem to have a reed switch with magnet in them. Do they serve a dual purpose of entry sensor and local glass break detector? How do I test to make sure they are functioning? I mounted one on the frame and them hit the door hard several times but got no response.

Old 07-22-13, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes they have a reed switch contact as well as the shock sensor mechanism. The adjustment and testing procedure is in the installation sheet that came with the device.

Old 03-02-14, 08:52 AM
Hello everybody
I have a question. Is the sensor groip the same as a sensor zone?

Old 03-02-14, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, for reasons that have to do with the alarm patents and competition in the early boom days of security systems, the systems that use the old ITI firmware (like the Concords and Simons) use "sensor group" where other systems use "zone type".

With wireless devices, each transmitter is a "zone".

Old 06-21-15, 10:48 AM
I just purchased a Simon XTi System. I was able to get the system to "LEARN" SOME of my NX650 sensors. Problem is, I have several NX650 sensors that it does not see. I removed the cover on each sensor and pressed the tamper switch but noting happens. I changed the batteries in the sensor, still nothing. Why do does the XTi learn some NX650 and not others? Very frustrating. Thanks

Old 06-21-15, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Simon xti

Probably you need replacement, if some of your sensors are working fine, the issue will be in the sensor it self.

Old 06-22-15, 04:18 PM
Thanks for replying. All the sensors presently work with my ADT system. I have had no problems with the sensors. I am changing to a Simon XTi because my ADT system is acting up and going off for no reason.