Photoelectric Beams for Permiter of Back Yard

Old 07-04-13, 06:32 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Photoelectric Beams for Permiter of Back Yard

I've searched the forum and the internet and can't find much information on Photoelectric beams. My situation is this: I have a dog that needs to go outside once per night. To let him out I have to disarm the system, in the bedroom is a 5828V which talks and wakes me or my wife up when it is disarmed, or I have to bypass the door that we use to let the dog out which is probably the most vulnerable door for intrusion at my home. This defeats the purpose of an alarm system. I am getting a 6' fence put around my back yard to contain the dog and discourage unwanted visitors. I'm thinking of using photoelectric beams to aid in detecting an intruder in the back also.

My questions are:
1. Are they wired like a normal hard wired contact? Use up 1 zone in my Vista 20P panel?
2. Can 2 or 3 sets of beams be wired in a series so it would only use 1 zone in my control panel? I only have one wired zone left.
3. I'm assuming they need power from the control panel to operate?
4. What suppliers make good photoelectric beam equipment? Should I stick with Honeywell or is it okay to go with another brand? Are most of the other brands compatible with the 20P? I'm seeing Optex advertised a lot.

Thanks

Old 07-04-13, 06:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Photo beam units wire like a motion detector or glassbreak. For what you are wanting to do, you can certainly wire the alarm contacts in series on a single zone. They are a standard hardwire device, so brand isn't an issue.

They do require 12v power, so if you are running close to the power limits of your Vista panel you will need to add up their current draw and may need an additional power supply.

Old 07-05-13, 11:45 AM
3) depending the type:
a) separate transmitter and receiver: locate the receiver closer to the control panel for shorter wiring, which should have 4 wires for power and sensor relay signals. The transmitter could be powered by 12v AC adapter if wish.
b) trnasmitter and receiver in one box with a reflector at the other end: power and sensor relay signals wired to control panel

3) Bosch is another good source

Sapote

Old 07-05-13, 08:03 PM
F
Thank You

Optex has one that is battery operated and wireless, very expensive $600 set and looks like they take up 4 zones per set.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: