After installation, smoke alarm goes off when AC power is restored

Old 07-17-13, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After installation, smoke alarm goes off when AC power is restored

Hello,

I bought 5 Kidde i12080 smoke alarms to replace 5 old Firex FXW-R in my house. In order to install the first one, I turned off the circuit breaker dedicated for all smoke alarms and installed one i12080 (connecting the three wires: black, white and red). As per the FXW-R's manual, the red wire is to interconnect the alarms in the house.

I decided to test only the one alarm I had just installed (4 FXW-R are still in place), and when I turned the circuit breaker on, the i12080 went off beeping like smoke had been detected, non-stop . I turned the breaker off and the alarm still beeped for 5 more times and during that time the light on the alarm was also on (steady).

My guess is that I should have replaced all alarms at the same time, given I have one i12080 connected to 4 FXW-R, via the red wire, but this is just as guess as to why the alarm went off when the breaker was on. I believe that the alarm shouldn't have made any noises when AC power was on.

Please advise. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-13, 07:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
On a guess: the Kidde and Firex models don't use the same interconnect protocol, which is one of the reasons that when you aren't replacing like with like, you largely have to replace all of the interconnected smoke alarms.