Simon XT Hardwired Siren (pictured)

Old 07-17-13, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simon XT Hardwired Siren (pictured)

Hey all. I'm looking to possibly hardwire the siren pictured below to my Simon XT. Instead of just a red and black wire, it has a green and white wire, too. The siren is about 20 years old and was tied into the previous alarm system. I'm hoping to utilize it with this newer install.

Any help would be super. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-13, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Gonna need brand and model on that one to provide a meaningful answer.

That looks like one of the speaker/piezo units that were used with the old ITI Caretaker + systems. I don't think that this device is compatible with your simon because the outputs on the caretaker was a different voltage than the simon's output.

There was a similar device made for the earlier Simon panels, which would be compatible.

Old 07-18-13, 11:45 AM
I don't have model information but you are correct. It's from an old Caretaker system. I tried running the wires in different combinations but no luck.

I also replaced the adapter where the Caretaker plugged into the wall with my Simon adapter and just connected the wires to the 9VAC In terminals on the Simon but no luck with that either. It kept saying AC Failure. I was hoping to use the wiring that was already installed in the wall but I guess that won't work either.

Old 07-18-13, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wires in the wall should work, if you have continuity. There's nothing special about that kind of wire. I would make sure that you haven't inadvertently shorted the low voltage output of the simon transformer. These things have non-replaceable fuses on the low voltage side.

Do you have 9v at the transformer output?

Old 07-18-13, 08:42 PM
From what I read, both screw terminals on the 9v transformer are positive because on the Simon XT panel, they both go to a 9VAC in terminal..

So I had two of the four wires to one screw terminal and the other two to the other terminal

Old 07-19-13, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's AC power, so there's no positive or negative. The use of 4 conductor was a common way to compensate for the gauge of the wire being used was a little light for power purposes.

Again, with the wires disconnected, do you have 9VAC at the transformer with it plugged in?

Old 07-19-13, 03:36 AM
Not sure. Its a standard outlet and I'm using the Simon's transformer. I just assumed it would convert it to the 9vac

Old 07-19-13, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, yes it should. However, if you have accidentally shorted the low voltage output side (which is one of the hazards of using the 4 wires, because you can cross up the pairs), then you will have killed the transformer's secondary windings. That's why it would be good for you to verify that the transformer is putting out voltage with nothing connected to it.