Bedroom Keypad Door Lock

Old 07-19-13, 08:48 PM
Bedroom Keypad Door Lock

Hi, im 16 and im bored so im looking for a cheap way to build a Keypad door lock for my room just for fun i looked around on the internet and found all these old articles that didnt really explain it which is why im posting on here im looking to spend around $20 because i dont care if it looks crappy just as long as its functinal please if someone knows how to do this reply and tell me what i need to buy links would also be appritated as well and maybe link a article if you can find a more recent one that has working links and if you would be ever so kind if you have a simular system if you could take pictures so i know how it is all set up thanks also i want the code to be 10 digits long so yah thanks for all of your help it is appriated <3.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-13, 11:27 PM
Also i forgot to include this but a strike would not work on my door.

Old 07-20-13, 12:16 AM
Four digit electronic combination lock kits are readily available for about $10-$15. Without the ability to install an electronic strike though it would be useless. I suppose you could use a solenoid and "monkey motion" to throw a barrel bolt but I can't see even getting the parts surplus for $20. Sorry.

BTW, most electronic combination locks are four digit. Some will allow six or a few, eight digits. Ten digits would be a very high security lock and I doubt that you would find one without spending several hundreds of dollars.

Old 07-20-13, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
You are thinking of a cipher lock. Google that and you will find what you are looking for, although likely not in your budget.

Your best option is to get one used. Check ebay.

Old 07-20-13, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that Cypher Lock is a brand name.

Mechanical pushbutton locks ARE available but they also cost a pretty penny. It has been a few years now but I did see pushbutton deadbolts available for around $50. They were four digit code as I recall and came in several different variations.

Even a door lock set such as by Unicam or Simpson rarely has more than a six digit combination. These units start at about $150 as I recall.