The right equipment

Old 05-22-13, 01:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The right equipment

I'm new here and this is actually my first post.

I want to install an alarm system in my home and have been trying to figure out what would be good, serviceable eqipment that I can obtain at a price that won't put me in the poor house. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $800 to $1,000.

I have a small, single-family house with four rooms and a cellar that would need alarm coverage. I realize that door/window contacts are the first line of defense but I've been broken into a number of times by the same perps (neighbors, as it turns out) and they've resorted to removing the putty (glazing) from the window panes to gain entry, so my first concern is to secure the house with motion detectors and then, once the windows are properly reglazed, install contacts on doors and windows also. I estimate that the job will need eight motions plus the central control unit and a key pad but, as I said, I'd like to be able to expand the system so that I can include around thirteen door/window contacts.

First of all, is this a reasonable amount of money to be able to accomplish this goal?

Secondly, is it possibe to expand a system to include the kind of coverage that I need here?

Finally, can you recommend equipment (brands, models, etc) that you feel would be suitable here? This has been a major problem for me? I've been searching the internet and have yet to find a site that has recommendations on equipment. If you can't specify here, where can I go to get valid recommendations on this?

Given the above, it should go without sayi ng that any help here would be very much appreciated. Thanks up front.

Old 05-22-13, 04:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Basically, any of the major brand systems will do what you want. Most of the differences between DSC, Honeywell/Ademco, Concord, Networx, etc are cosmetic and a few additional features beyond the base functions.

Your budget will pretty much get all that you need, and then some.

You do need at least 1 door contact. All motion systems _can_ be done, but the standard programming configurations need an entry/exit zone to trip to work with. Your budget will easily cover both contacts and motions.
I generally prefer wired systems, but you would be just fine with a wireless system. Avoid the all-in-one units. Most people end up spending more time, effort, and money trying to make one of those things work as well as a traditional keypad and control system. Most standard systems with wireless enabled will cover 20-40 wireless zones.

Old 06-27-13, 11:39 AM
D
Follow-up

Thanks very mcuh for the info, Ron. Although it's been a while since my initial post (busy with work commitments), your response put me on the right track and have been checking out some options that I hope will work out. I've been looking mainly at the Home Security Store (HSS) and trying to come up with a system that's as easy to install as possible (since I really don't have any prior experience) even if I have to pay a few bucks more. At the same time, I'm trying to heed your advice about not getting a complete system package.

So here's what I'm thinking right now: I decided to go with this basic DSC kiit from HSS: KIT32-219 | DSC Power 1832 Wireless Ready Security Kit | Home Security Store

After reading the customer reviews on this kit at HSS, it seems as though the installation would be doable for me. The reviewers say that the English text read-out on the key pad made installation easier for them. Does that sound about right or would I be better off with another manufacturer that might be easier for a beginner to install? The description says I can use both wired and wireless sensors with this kit and I think that kind of versatility would be good to have if I want to add other sensors in the future. Also, HSS supposedly has pretty good customer support for those of us who don't know what they're doing. Would you recommend them as a vendor?

This kit also has the necessary basics--central control panel, key pad, back-up battery, transformer and phone jack. The PIR motion evidently isn't very good but I intend to use the Optex dual (PIR & Micro-wave) units that you recommended in an earlier post, Ron. Would this Optex unit be compatible with this DSC system and does Optex make this unit in a wireless version or is it hardwired only. Putting in the wired units wouldn't be a huge problem in my house but wireless, of course, would be easier. Also, I plan on installing several DSC wireless door/window contacts, an alarm siren, a smoke detector, an Envisalink Internet alert module, a camlock for the control box and probably a strobe light. As for wire, one of the reviewers said I need some 22/4 or 22/2 for the motion sensors, 18/2 thermostat wire for the transformer and some 16/2 or 14/2 for the siren. Does that sound about right?

Is there anything else at all that you think I might need? Even suggestions on things like mounting screws or wire nuts, etc? Finally, is it possible that the wireless components in this system could be a weakness that a savy intruder might be able to exploit?

I realize that I've asked quite a few questions here but any help and/or suggestions whatsoever will be very, very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Bob

Old 06-27-13, 04:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The DSC package will work just fine. Make sure you get the RFK5500 keypad. That will get you both the full alpha keypad and the wireless receiver in one unit. While any keypad model will allow you to program, a lot of novices seem to have difficulties with interpreting the programming information using the LED or LCD icon type keypads.

For wireless motions you have to use the DSC models. The Optex is a hardwire only model. The DSC wireless motions aren't bad, you just have to be mindful of placement, just like any PIR device.

Old 07-02-13, 10:12 AM
D
Thanks, Ron. I'll try two or three of the DSC wireless motions will try the Optex duals also and wire them in. The Optex will work with this system if I wire in, is that right?

Old 07-02-13, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes the optex motions will work just fine. Hardwired contacts, motions, glassbreaks are just fancy switches, and will work with any standard 12v system.

Old 07-02-13, 04:27 PM
F
Heed the advice to get the wireless capable and English text RFK5500 keypad. Other choices are a nightmare in comparison.

Sounds like you need a pit bull and a 12-gage for your site.

If not using a monitoring service, do you at least have some neighbors you can rely on to call the police if, no, WHEN your local hooligans break in and trip the alarm? Maybe bribe 'em to be on your side with a good neighbor gift pkg?

A few motion and/or wireless door sensors should be fine for your needs. If you really HAD to you could just put a doorbell type switch to pretend to be an exit door, for alarm purposes.

Old 08-03-13, 07:45 AM
D
Thanks for the help Ron and Freddy.

I bought the package that I described in my earlier post but have not yet done the installation. I have several DSC wireless door/window contacts and will use one at entry point as you suggest, Ron. The motions are a combination of a few DSC wireless and several Optex wired.

What else am I going to need as far as small items go? I've seen several posts that mentioned resistors at the end of wired series. Can these be had at Radio Shack and is it just one resistor on the end of a series?

Fred, I do have neighbors that will notify police but will have monitoring serevice ASAP also. And I've already got the 12 Gauge. Pit bull is bit more of a problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-03-13, 09:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The end of line resistors come in the package with the new DSC control. It's just one resistor in series with each hardwire zone loop.

You will need crimp connectors, either "b" connectors (b connector - Google Search), "scotch-lock" or even small tube crimps (just use one end to create a pigtail connection).

Most everything else, other than wire, should have come with your hardware.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: