Safewatch Custom RF (Caretaker Plus) TouchPanels not responding/are dark

Old 08-02-13, 01:39 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safewatch Custom RF (Caretaker Plus) TouchPanels not responding/are dark

Hi- We have a modified ITI Caretaker Plus system. ADT called it "Safewatch Caretaker Plus" that was installed in our system well prior to our purchasing the bldg. It has mostly worked fine over the years...recently we needed to move one of the touchpads & we were going to be out of town for a week so I was setting my studio assistant up with a to do list for the week. I gave him the programming manual & mentioned there was a mode to turn off tampering & recommended he call ADT prior to starting. (Yeah) so in the end I don't know for sure if it started to malfunction prior to him starting to move the panel. Another colleague using the studio that day said she was having trouble setting the alarm but she couldn't give me a total description as she has almost no vision.
So asst. started to move the panel w/o calling ADT or doing any of the steps to turn off tamper protection. It is the 2nd touchpanel. The alarm started going off with the 77 error of a panel being tampered with & after explaining to ADT I spoke with him thinking I'd step him through clearing the error & turning off tamper protect, but there was a problem... No touchpanel. The main one as well as the one he was moving were dark. I've been working on it since we returned but cannot bring the touchpanel a back on. They remain dark. We remounted the touchpanel in original location & turned system back on at main panel (CPU). No power to the touchpanels still.
We ran new wiring as a ruleout. Nope. When I power on the system it still is giving (over the speaker) the 77 error. I cannot take it out of tamper mode without power to the touchpads though.

Any insight on how to get out of this cycle...get the touchpanels back on?

I know this is an old/depricated system...I'm disabled & cannot afford to upgrade it currently.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 08:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Check the fuses at the main control. Your helper probably shorted the power leads for the keypad and popped the aux power fuse.

Old 08-16-13, 12:42 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fuse location ?

I am not finding said fuses on main panel or mentioned in either manual. On off chance you meant main electrical panel I checked & reset one alarm is on for good measure. No change.
Further notes on fuses you are speaking of? Or other trblshooting suggestions?
Thanks
Kriss

Old 08-16-13, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It may be a PTC (solid state protection device instead of a fuse) (been years since I handled one of these systems). Simple basic test: Do you have 12vdc between terminal 11 (ground) and 15 (+12vdc)? The motherboard? If yes, then there's a wiring or problem with the keypads, themselves. If no, does the voltage restore if you disconnect the keypads? Do you get power at the keypads themselves between the black and red terminals?